FAT friendly shops near Portland, ME?

Retro Dude

I'll be in Portland for Memorial Day weekend & I'm looking for any cool shops in the area to visit (need to balance out the "gift" shops I'll be dragged into).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!

MikeyNYC

BikeMan
115 Main St., US Route 1
Woolwich, ME 04579
1-800-BIKEMAN
1-207-442-7002

About 45-60 Mins north of Portland Maine, I know that Davis the owner has the purple 1987 Fat Chance that he bought from me 10 years ago, he may have others to look at.

terrafirma

BikeMan
115 Main St., US Route 1
Woolwich, ME 04579
1-800-BIKEMAN
1-207-442-7002

About 45-60 Mins north of Portland Maine, I know that Davis the owner has the purple 1987 Fat Chance that he bought from me 10 years ago, he may have others to look at.

BIG ditto. Huge used and seemingly NOS parts room.

I-ROBOT

I'll be in Portland for Memorial Day weekend & I'm looking for any cool shops in the area to visit (need to balance out the "gift" shops I'll be dragged into).

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!

When Chris Igleheart left Fat City to start his own deal, he took up residence in this shop that was right around the corner from Davis' shop in Woolwich. We used to go there when I would come up to visit him and my then bro-in-law Dan who worked for him (the guy on the tricycle getting written up by the kid cop in the postcard brochure). Nice guy and cool shop. Apparently, his wife Carla was quite the racer - I want to say triathlons mostly. Haven't seen them in many years.

There is also the Maine Maritime museum across the bridge in Bath which is really cool - right near the General Dynamics shipyard. Worth spending a couple of hours in. Popham Beach is really nice too - if it is beach weather.

Also check out LL Bean in Freeport - they sold Fats for a short time in that store. Decent bicycle department as I remember

Enjoy your trip
Scott

wickedwillie

Wow. I need a full-screen facepalm smiley. I've been by that shop so many times on the way to visit my sister, she lives just down the road in Wiscasset. The timing is always bad, usually Sunday evenings, and it's not open. I will make a point to go.

Maine rocks, by the way. I'm still in New England-over in Vermont, and no matter how pretty it is here I'll always miss the rougher edges of my home state. Hope you had a good time.

Retro Dude

Well, we had a wet weekend in Portland so we drove the coast north of Portland to Booth Bay Harbor and spent time with family in Lewiston.

Did stop in to Bikeman looking for a 1" Yo or BOI, they have a few 1.125" Fat & Ingleheart forks. Also saw a Merlin Fat Beat hanging in the back, I went in for a closer look to see what size it was and got the look from my wife, oh well.

I remember seeing Fats in LL Beans in the late 80's. We went with my uncle who was a typical old mainer. I was oogling a Wicked and he says to me "one thousand dollahs for a bike? FAT CHANCE!" I don't know if he saw the name of the bike or if it was just use of the New England phrase.

I'll have to check out the maritime museum next year, sounds interesting.