New to fat chances

fatchance

Thank you, and I am not sure about specifics on the bottom bracket. I have decided to have my local bike shop assemble the bike because I didn't relise what I would need to assemble the bike myself.

fatchance

I decided to build the bike up myself after thinking about it again. I was wondering what bottom bracket tool you guys would recommend for installing a tapered bottom bracket?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
By a 'tapered bottom bracket' I assume you mean a bottom bracket with a square taper spindle?

Per tvcr's questions above, for you to know what kind of tools you will need, you need to know whether your frame needs a press-fit BB or a threaded BB. Either one will have a square taper spindle (that's what attaches to the crank arms) but each of the above attach to the frame in a different way.

Maybe trying the shop again is a good idea. Alternatively, post some pics.

fatchance

Yes the square tapered bottom bracket. When I was looking through the parts for the bike I saw the bottom bracket and the bearings but I didn't see any nuts to screw the parts in securely.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    495.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    488.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 5

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Yes the square tapered bottom bracket. When I was looking through the parts for the bike I saw the bottom bracket and the bearings but I didn't see any nuts to screw the parts in securely.

What you have there is the spindle (which is square taper) and the locking collars. What you need is the bearings (described in the link above). You don't need to do any screwing or nutting, just smooth solid pressing (once you get bearings. After you do that, insert the spindle, center it, and tighten down the locking collars. Be careful--if those are the originals they are liable to break easily (if they aren't broken already). They are also Imperial not metric sizing.

fatchance

Thank you for all of the bottom bracket information guys! I have the original NTN bearings but one is seized so I need to replace it. I will follow the direction in the link and hopefully that will work well.

fatchance

Crank for a 1991 Wicked Fat Chance

I still need a crank for my 1991 Wicked Fat Chance, I was wondering what you guys would recommend?

fatchance

Ok great thank you for letting know. If I get this crank set then I will be able to start putting the bike together.

fatchance

Hey Guys, Sorry I haven't given you any updates on my Wicked build. Yesterday I took the frame and all of the parts down to my local bike shop to be built up. I will post pictures when I get it back. I thought that I could build it up myself and I didn't fully know what skills that involved.

fatchance

I have decided to put a brooks b33 saddle on my wicked. Since I will mainly ride on roads and light trails do you think that will be fine?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Saddle choice is a pretty personal issue. If you aren't trying to be period correct or catalogue spec, what really matters is what your butt likes and your eyes will tolerate.

Short answer: sure, why not.