1991 Wicked Fat Chance parts problems

fatchance

Hey Guys, I just talked to by LBS that is building up my Wicked Fat and he told me that I am missing: the cable anchor assy., bb cable guide ( the push in kind) and also the bb spindle length is too long for my Shimano M730 XT front crank, (he said that the front derailleur can't shift the way it is now). What should the length of the bb shaft be?

mainlyfats

If you're using the original BB, that doesn't make much sense... Loosen the grub screws on the collars and move the whole assembly over. Slightly wider stance Q-factor wise, but it'll work no problems.

fatchance

Ok thank you for the information. I talked to the previous owner and he said that the bottom bracket came with the bike when he bought it. Are the rivets for the cable guide special?

fatchance

Also my LBS guy thinks that the spindle length is 137mm and that I would need one that is around 120-122mm long.

Retro Dude

137? Wow, I'd politely ask them to remeasure. Maybe they ment 127

Take some pics & post them here, picture's worth 1k words.

fatchance

Yeah that seams long to me too since he said it should be 120-122mm. Since it is the original spindle hopefully my LBS guy can figure out how to adjust it so it does fit properly. I will get pics. on here soon.

fatchance

Here are some pictures of the spindle/ bottom bracket and some pictures of the nearly completed frame.

Attachments

• IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    493.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0827.jpg
    IMG_0827.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0828.jpg
    491.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0829.jpg
    IMG_0829.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0831.jpg
    IMG_0831.jpg
    489.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0833.jpg
    IMG_0833.jpg
    500.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    498.6 KB · Views: 9

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
That actually does look super long. Can you measure it yourself to check? He's right about the length you need--if that thing is as long as it looks it could very well be 137mm and mess up the chainline/shifting.

fatchance

I can't measure the shaft size right now, but I might be able to later. What would you recommend that I do to fix the problem?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
The Phil spindles are a different size, if I recall. There are threads here on it if you search.

fatchance

Ok I will do a search on here. I called up phil wood and they said a spindle is $98 and they need special bearing to fit and they cost $20. Hopefully I can find an original spindle that is the correct size.

I-ROBOT

Ok thank you for the information. I talked to the previous owner and he said that the bottom bracket came with the bike when he bought it. Are the rivets for the cable guide special?

Use a stainless steel rivet for corrosion resistance and strength. You could use an aluminum rivet if you wanted to but I believe we used stainless
Scott

fatchance

Thanks for the information Scott. My Dad has a shop and he was able to find a rivet to fit the cable guide. I think the one he put on the frame is aluminum.

fatchance

Instead of spending a lot of money on the phil wood bottom bracket setup, do you guys think it would be easier to make the spindle I have the correct size?