A funny story bout' my 87'

rob fischer

I just found this forum and thought I would share a story that is a testimonial to Chris' filet brazed goodness.

In 87' in the city of Austin TX, I bought my blue and yeller FC. Rode the hell out of it, puked my guts out on it, and generally was the coolest because of it.

In the summer of 89' I was chasing the points series around TX (sport) and doing quite well. I was driving a Mazda RX-7 with the bike taken all apart, stuffed into the hatch all over the state and sleeping in the drivers seat before the races. No Bueno!

Finally I relented and traded in the Mazda on a Toyota station wagon, complete with the new Yakima bicycle roof rack. The dealer installed the roof rack, and as such I had to ride my bike to the dealership to pick up he car. When the service manager saw me with my bike shorts and helmet, he almost choked on his cigarette laughing at me. Remember this is before Lance. He made some sort of comment about my stupid bike and livin' with my mommy. So I threw my beloved FC on the roof and drove outta there. That guy had me pissed off, plus I was really hungry. I kept thinking about his comments and wanted to smack him. With that clouded mind I pulled into the drive through at Taco Cabana.....

Boom! Screeeeeech.

****! AGHHHH!

You betcha! I hit the top of the drive through at about 20mph with the bike on top.

The damage was this.

Car-Roof rack destroyed. A tear in the roof of the car that ran from just behind my head all the way to the rear window (which shattered). The rear roof pillars buckled at the roofline. Total damage $5000 plus. One month in the shop with a grand total of 6 miles on the odometer.

Bike- seat and seat post trashed. Chainrings (which cut through the roof) trashed. That's it. One hour later I was riding my repaired bike home.:rolleyes:

Chromoly Fat Chance 1

Toyota Camry Wagon 0