removing spindle collars for pressed in BB

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Hi all.

I am pulling the BB in my 91 Yo and .....well, haven't got very far. The locking collar has holes that appear to be for an allen key but none of mine are fitting. Does anyone know if it Imperial and not metric....or do I just need to clean out some more gunk!?

The spindle collar on one side has a small crack, but has felt fine riding it. I would just as soon leave it in there but I am having a bout of rut paranoia and want to clean out the seat tube and treat it with Framesaver.

I suppose I will need to order a new collar set from Rody. Probably time to replace the bearings too seeing as it has been 17 years. I've had the bike more years that I was old when I got it :)

mainlyfats

Hi all.

I am pulling the BB in my 91 Yo and .....well, haven't got very far. The locking collar has holes that appear to be for an allen key but none of mine are fitting. Does anyone know if it Imperial and not metric....or do I just need to clean out some more gunk!?

The spindle collar on one side has a small crack, but has felt fine riding it. I would just as soon leave it in there but I am having a bout of rut paranoia and want to clean out the seat tube and treat it with Framesaver.

I suppose I will need to order a new collar set from Rody. Probably time to replace the bearings too seeing as it has been 17 years. I've had the bike more years that I was old when I got it :)

IMPERIAL! You can go whole hog and get a metric - I think - Phil set up with spindle too.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I had a feeling I was doomed by imperialism. Back to the hardware store :)

The spindle looks a little, um, rugged? so I think I will end up wasting bacon and going whole hog.

Butcher

PM me if your going with the Phil set up. I have a PW 17MM diameter Ti spindle I want to move.

BTW - the reason I'm moving it I was not thrilled with the PW set up and am going back to the original steel spindal with new bearings and collars from Rody.

Keep that steel spindle as you might want it again and the are hard to find.

Butcher

I may be interested......contingent on why you weren't happy with it ;) What was weird?

Well it all looks good, sweet bearings, super light and stiff 17MM diameter Ti Spindle. The system from Phil does not come with retaining rings on the bearings and does not use locking collars - it relies on a very tight press fit to keep it all in place. I got it all set up and all was good, but the spindle shifted on me and when I went to press it back the absence of the retaining ring on the bearing caused the bearing to push further into the frame instead of the spindle moving. I'm planning on riding the bike Aug 1 in a 71 mile mountain bike race (Laramie Enduro) so I just lost patience with setting it up.

If I were to do it again I would source a pair of 17MM bore locking collars and I think that would solve the problem. Phil might even be able to source those for you. Phil is also very helpful with directions on how to go about pressing everything together.

I'd give you a sweet deal on that spindle if you wanted to give it a shot. It was uber pricey new at something like $120 for a custom Ti Spindle. The bearings themselves are relativly cheap at about $8 each. To press everything together you will want to go somewhere where they have an arbor press or similar. If you're the do it yourself type Harbor freight sells arbor presses pretty cheap.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Thanks for that! I will keep it in mind.
So, the 17mm Ti spindle is thicker than the current steel one? --too bad the Phil spindle wouldn't work with locking collars/bearings fro Rody.

And do post something about the enduro--sounds awesome.

Butcher

Yep, that's right - the PW spindle is larger in diameter than the 5/8" original Fat City set up. BTW, I set my Yo up with the original steel spindle, new bearings and the trick pinch collar (vs the original that used set screws) from Rody and it went together super easy and spins real smooth.

I'll post a few pics from the Enduro - the old Yo in action!

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Nice---I'd love to see them.

Sounds like the new bearings and collars from Rody are the thing to do. I still gotta get some Imperial allen keys....and then deal with what ever rust may be lurking in the depths!