"New" Monster Fat - 1991

Butcher

It was 1991 all over again tonight when I rode my fresh Monster Fat. This frame is so fresh, when I looked down the seat tube all I saw was shiny fresh steel and fresh clean grease. I treated it to Frame saver and built it up last night. I got it done at 1AM last night and took it out for it's first ride.

It rides so much like my Yo, that familiar Fat Chance ride.

Here is the skinny:

Monster Fat
Large
Year 1991
Fork is the original Tange Struts
Green over Black splatter
Serial Number 0320M1L

This was the first year of the Mono Stay rear triangle where the Monster Fat was a unique frame set and not a re-badged Wicked. Now that I have another sweet MTB to ride I can send my venerable Yo Eddy in to get it restored.

Check it out.

Attachments

• Moster Fat 001 (8).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (8).jpg
    218 KB · Views: 47
  • Moster Fat 001 (7).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (7).jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Moster Fat 001 (6).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (6).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Moster Fat 001 (3).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (3).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Moster Fat 001 (2).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (2).jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Moster Fat 001.jpg
    Moster Fat 001.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Moster Fat 001 (1).jpg
    Moster Fat 001 (1).jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 091808_18001.jpg
    091808_18001.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

jh4rt

Very, very, very nice....

I'm especially glad you didn't mess it up with all those cables and derraileurs. That is the way a fat should be ridden. ;-)

muzzarelli

Nice Nice Nice

Nice Nice Nice

What 'ring/cog are you running? I've had a 36" 18" combo on my Wicked, but It was killing me towards the end of a race so I've changed to a 34" 18" I found that a lot better on the weekend, but I'm considering trying a bit lower still.

Butcher

What 'ring/cog are you running? I've had a 36" 18" combo on my Wicked, but It was killing me towards the end of a race so I've changed to a 34" 18" I found that a lot better on the weekend, but I'm considering trying a bit lower still.

I've been running a 32x17 which is pretty dang close to your 34x18. It's a strong mans gear in the steep sustainted climbs for sure but it seems to work pretty good as an all around gear for me. For racing it seems like you would want to change for the conditions. I'll be doing some cyclocross races on the Monster in October and I'll be switching to a 34x14 and at this point I'm planning on running it fixed gear (the hub is a flip/flop) - Should be fun to try. I'm also going to swith out to a longer stem, no rise with some flat bars for the cyclocross.

muzzarelli

Single Speed

Thanks for sharing your ratios, very interesting. I think you're right - changing ratios for different situations is the way to go. Good luck with the cyclocross races!

Upchuck

Eno fats rule
Absolutely!
Yo_SS_crankset.JPG