1" Threadless Stem around 100mm & +15 or 17d rise

This is for a road bike so 26mm Road handlebars (but if you have a 25.4 Mountain. it might work too). Let me know what you have available; I'd like to get a Salsa, Sychros, Thomson or other high-end threadless stem but it must be 1" with a rise at least 15degrees & in the range of 90-100mm. Also I have a 130mm Salsa with this rise that I'd be willing to trade or will pay cash for the correct one. Cheers, Jon

afterbang

this is completely anecdotal, but, when I ran a 26.0 Nitto bar with a 25.4 Thomson elite stem, it ended up tweaking the bar at the clamp area, crushing the bar in a few spots. after the fact, I read that the curvature of the circle on a 26.0 bar, compared to that of a 25.4 stem, is significant enough to put high stress on certain points on the handlebar.

I don't know if it really compromised the bar strength at all, but I probably wouldn't do it again and I ended up just recycling the bar since I didn't feel it was safe to sell or even give it to someone else.

this is completely anecdotal, but, when I ran a 26.0 Nitto bar with a 25.4 Thomson elite stem, it ended up tweaking the bar at the clamp area, crushing the bar in a few spots. after the fact, I read that the curvature of the circle on a 26.0 bar, compared to that of a 25.4 stem, is significant enough to put high stress on certain points on the handlebar.

I don't know if it really compromised the bar strength at all, but I probably wouldn't do it again and I ended up just recycling the bar since I didn't feel it was safe to sell or even give it to someone else.

I think it's a good point. I actually have a similar experience with a 1983 Univega POS (piece of ****) mt bike that had a very small clamp which I put some hyperlite alloy bars on for my neice to take to college. 3 years in & the bars snapped. Luckily she was not hurt & I felt terrible but I am sure the same physics that you described were to blame.