true temper tubing

sketchy

I replaced the lower half of the seat tube on my Yo last year using True Temper OX Platinum. It's a standard diameter.

lewisfoto

I replaced the lower half of the seat tube on my Yo last year using True Temper OX Platinum. It's a standard diameter.

I meant to ask about this a couple of days ago, you replaced the lower half of the seat tube? Why not replace the whole tube and/or what was done with the seam?

Just curious

- Steven

sketchy

I meant to ask about this a couple of days ago, you replaced the lower half of the seat tube? Why not replace the whole tube and/or what was done with the seam?

Just curious

- Steven

The tube was rusted out at the bottom, so that had to go. I figured I would replace the press in BB with a threaded one while I was at it. I cut the seat tube above all of the corrosion and replaced the lower bit because replacing the whole tube is tough. Getting a clean cut where the stays and top tube are is a chore.

I butt welded the new tube into the old one then just hit it with a file and some sand paper. There were one or two low spots that I filled in with silver then sanded down again. if you didn't know the work was done you wouldn't notice it. Only by running your hand over the area can you really tell.

I-ROBOT

The tube was rusted out at the bottom, so that had to go. I figured I would replace the press in BB with a threaded one while I was at it. I cut the seat tube above all of the corrosion and replaced the lower bit because replacing the whole tube is tough. Getting a clean cut where the stays and top tube are is a chore.

I butt welded the new tube into the old one then just hit it with a file and some sand paper. There were one or two low spots that I filled in with silver then sanded down again. if you didn't know the work was done you wouldn't notice it. Only by running your hand over the area can you really tell.

I would concur with sketchy's repair method. I replaced many seat tube lower ends for just that reason. Typically, where the seatpost contacts, there is some kind of grease which helps prevent corrosion there but the lower collects moisture which rots it out. Most folks also don't realize that the Yo's have a two-piece seatube (at least the Somerville ones) so there is already a weld in the tube! (which was sanded flush before painting. So replacing the entire seat tube would be very tricky to replicate.

When I would do a partial replacement, I would cut a small section of tube and make a backing ring for the weld joint so I could make sure that I would have complete penetration all the way through the wall of the tube. The weld would be far enough down that the backing ring would not interfere with the seat post. Any low spots on the outside could be filled with silver braze and sanded smooth.

Also, it makes alignment easier if you have the stays and top tube still in place, especially if you don't have a real frame fixture.

Regards
Scott