Seatpost for 85 Kicker

stoebben

Hi--Looking for either a first generation Suntour XC or Strong seatpost in NOS or near condition in size 26.4 for this build. Send me a PM if you have something. Thanks!

tvcreative

you can still find NOS TCO Laprade posts in this size...check flea bay

finding a strong or sun tour in NOS is going to be a bit of a chore

I would keep my eyes open for a syncros or an american classic, both were also used on FATS

stoebben

Post Choices

Thanks tvcreative--I thought about those but am trying to be exact, period correct OEM on this build, so I believe the Strong and XC are my only true choices other than an SR Laprade (BMX or MTB). I have one NOS Suntour XC but two 85 frames. I have a TCO and Laprade in the right size, but both are pretty worn and marked.

Interesting point on the American Classics posts that I was told by an old employee. The earliest ones for MTBs (guessing late 85-87ish ?) used the same thickness of post tubing as the road version from the time (which were shorter in length). There were a lot of failures due to this thin tubing and longer length on the MTBs. If you are considering using one of the posts from that era, try and use a road version if it fits rather than the MTB. I don't know when the issue was corrected but eventually it was (and I'm not sure there was little, if any, difference in the cosmetics for awhile during that time). I had a friend around that mid-80s period who tried two of the posts when they first were introduced. Both bent/broke in half during off road rides after little use and he (and the rest of us) went to IRDs and/or Suntours.

So, in short, still looking . . . . :)

tvcreative

I have an american classic on a 94 wicked lite...it seems pretty stout, but I am not super aggressive - nor is the post out a country mile. I will keep a watchout on it.

I have a syncros I may swap out.

I have a TCO on an 87 kicker

stoebben

Seatpost Options

Definitely believe they had those problems worked out by late 80s so you are in good shape.

My 88 Wicked came with a TCO so that may be period correct. Don't know much about those posts so can't really say.

Love the Syncros but definitely not the fit for an 85. I do need one in 29.4 for a 91 Ibis, though ;-)

RobTu

Definitely believe they had those problems worked out by late 80s so you are in good shape.

My 88 Wicked came with a TCO so that may be period correct. Don't know much about those posts so can't really say.

Love the Syncros but definitely not the fit for an 85. I do need one in 29.4 for a 91 Ibis, though ;-)

What?!?! Why didn't you say so, I have a few 29.4 syncros posts kicking around :)

But, yes, you are on point with the early American Classic posts. TCO posts are also a late 80's/early 90's post, the Tall Cool One is robust, but heavy, and not all that nice looking, imo.

You're looking in the right direction for an 85. I'll look through my rubber maid bins, to see if I find anything that will be useful.