Weird FATs

mainlyfats

Who's got a Chris Cross? Shockabilly (AMP or Fat design)? Tandem? What about really weird bikes? Anybody customize theirs? Is there a Fat BMX bike out there? What about - gasp - a Chris Chance track bike? A Kicker or Kicker Comp?

I love the Yo!s - I really do - but lets see the freaks in your garage!

scant

retroBri has a criss cross, I'll try & get a pic. I've got 1 of only 2 polished FAT chance titaniums :D

Zook

This one was on ebay, pretty wierd, it's got a u-brake and cantilever mounts. Not sure if it's all original or who bought it...

Attachments

• 8a_1_b.JPG
    8a_1_b.JPG
    18.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 7b_1_b.JPG
    7b_1_b.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 78_1_b.JPG
    78_1_b.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 77

mainlyfats

Zook said:
This one was on ebay, pretty wierd, it's got a u-brake and cantilever mounts. Not sure if it's all original or who bought it...

That's bizarre - I've never seen anything like that. Is that an above the BB cable guide? Does that make it a modified Kicker? With a new paint job and stickers?

rick

Let's see...the most unusual is probably my one-off Shock-a-Billy with an Action Tec front end. According to Wendyll it is the only one ever built.
I have a Random Tandem as well. Another person pointed out the above bottom bracket cable routing on a bike, I have an 86 Fat with the same rounting, not too unusual I think, I have seen others.
I also have a older Fat (86-87?) with top tube cable routing. Wendyll told me that it was likely a transitonal or experiment of sorts, not sure if others are out there. The same bike also has a box crown fork and roller cam brakes, I have not seen many Fats outfitted with roller cams. I have an 82 Fat which is somewhat unusual simply because it is a first year bike. It is the oldest Fat that I have seen, does anyone else have one?
That's probably it for the strange stuff.

rick

scant

I've got video footage of Chris Chance riding that action tec fork Billy around inside FAT somewhere rick :D

mainlyfats

rick said:
Let's see...the most unusual is probably my one-off Shock-a-Billy with an Action Tec front end. According to Wendyll it is the only one ever built.
I have a Random Tandem as well. Another person pointed out the above bottom bracket cable routing on a bike, I have an 86 Fat with the same rounting, not too unusual I think, I have seen others.
I also have a older Fat (86-87?) with top tube cable routing. Wendyll told me that it was likely a transitonal or experiment of sorts, not sure if others are out there. The same bike also has a box crown fork and roller cam brakes, I have not seen many Fats outfitted with roller cams. I have an 82 Fat which is somewhat unusual simply because it is a first year bike. It is the oldest Fat that I have seen, does anyone else have one?
That's probably it for the strange stuff.

rick

Are you starting a museum??? If you don't put up some pictures, I'll spend a good portion of my leisure time trying to track you down, Rick. I have always wanted to see a Random Tandem "in the wild"... And man, a 1982? A Helfrich Fat? Super cool! And a box crown fork with Roller Cam mounts? I'm surprised that the Cunningham/WTB freaks haven't sought you out and broken into your garage, 'cause that would be so sweet on an East Coaster's old Cross Country Racer or Steve Potts.

If I've missed them, and you've got pics up somewhere on Fat Cogs, please direct me to where I might find them.

mainlyfats

scant said:
pretty certain ricks posted up the pics of most of his bikes?

Not that I can find by searching - tantalizing descriptions - but I've never seen an 82 or a Chris Cross or a Random (except the mag. scan).

Can we start a new thread called "What it's Like to Be Rick, or The Best Collection of Fats There Is and Ever Will Be"? I admire your foresight, man. Well done.

rick

Thanks for the kind words. I don't really have a museum, just a handful of bikes. Lots of folks have more (and nicer) bikes but I have taken the easy way out and limited myself to Fats.

Scant and Melvin, that film is so cool, I have never seen before, thnks for posting. I assume that it is from about 91 or 92 as it has the early style Ti Fat? You have a sharp eye to notice the Action Tec Billy, but that certainly looks like the bike.

I have posted pics of many of my bikes in the past, but I don't believe that they are still out there. I will try to find some at home. For those in the area the real museum is at First Flight Bikes and many of my bikes will be there for their show on August 27th & 28th. Some of my bikes live at FFB anyway, so I'll try to get some new photos at the show.

rick

Yo Eddy!

The movie: The credits are for Andrew of YetiFan.com. He posted it overhere about already a year ago.

I like to see the pics. Think the '82 FAT will be the oldest I've ever seen.

yo' djblu

I think the video is from 94 as it shows a wall of aqua fade Yo's and 94 was the first year that paint was available. Also 94 was the first year the Shock was avail to the public. which brings me to another question. My wife's yo! Is sapphire fade which when i look in the 94 cat was not offered as a colour scheme. Did fat paint or try new paint colours before they offered them as STOCK colours??? Just wondering as I would love to know.

sean

10thAnniversaryFat said:
Who's got a Chris Cross? Shockabilly (AMP or Fat design)? Tandem? What about really weird bikes? Anybody customize theirs? Is there a Fat BMX bike out there? What about - gasp - a Chris Chance track bike? A Kicker or Kicker Comp?

I love the Yo!s - I really do - but lets see the freaks in your garage!
Ive an AMP Shock-a-billy ;) theres a spec and pic here...

http://www.fatcogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551

MikeyNYC

Wierd Fats...Better Late then Never...!

10thAnniversaryFat said:
And man, a 1982? A Helfrich Fat? Super cool! And a box crown fork with Roller Cam mounts? I'm surprised that the Cunningham/WTB freaks haven't sought you out and broken into your garage, 'cause that would be so sweet on an East Coaster's old Cross Country Racer or Steve Potts.

If I've missed them, and you've got pics up somewhere on Fat Cogs, please direct me to where I might find them.

10AnniversaryFat:

I actually scored that 1982 Fillet Brazed Fat Chance on Ebay which I think is like # 13 of all Fats ever made, but I sold it to Rick for what exactly what I paid for it because he Really Really wanted it and that's just what type of a Dude I am ;) ...Anyway I have a 1988 Fat Chance with a Reynolds 531 Box Crown Fork with the WTB Roller Cam Brake & the Brake Bridge on it, but I don't know how to post photos-If anyone can tell me how to post them I'll get some photos up of the 1982 and the 1988 Box Crown fork with the Roller Cam Brake on it...

Michael-NYC

MikeyNYC

Here are some photos of my 1988 Fat Chance with a Reynolds 531 Box Crown Fat City fork with a WTB Roller Cam Brake & Brake Bridge:

Attachments

• BLACK FAT CHANCE 10.05.02 # 6.jpg
    BLACK FAT CHANCE 10.05.02 # 6.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCF0973.JPG
    DSCF0973.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 60

John

Administrator
Staff member
MikeyNYC said:
Here are some photos of my 1988 Fat Chance with a Reynolds 531 Box Crown Fat City fork with a WTB Roller Cam Brake & Brake Bridge:

That is seriously cool
cool.gif

Love the steep CBR stem also.

MikeyNYC

rutteger said:
That is seriously cool
cool.gif

Love the steep CBR stem also.

Thanks, Not only do I think that the brakes and the CBR stem look cool, but this bike (and the parts that I put on it) rides Amazingly smooth!

Michael-NYC