My 1990 Yo

Butcher

Here are a few pictures of what I'm assuming is a 1990 Yo Eddy - sn 375Y09 with it's original yo eddy fork. I've had this bike since 1995 when I purchased it from my brother in law who bought it new at the Wild Rose bike shop in Salt Lake City. This bike is still wearing it's original paint. Note that it does not have the Chris Chance stickers on the chain stay. Anyone know when they started putting those chain stay stickers on? Also, what did the factory call the color of my bike? I love the way this bike rides!

Attachments

• 080608_17191[1] (2).jpg
    080608_17191[1] (2).jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 080608_17192.jpg
    080608_17192.jpg
    226.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 080608_17201.jpg
    080608_17201.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 080608_17202.jpg
    080608_17202.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 080608_17211.jpg
    080608_17211.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 23

fat-tony

Staff member
I have seen that paint scheme before and really like it. It is a grellow to blue fade. Nice original looking Fat and great that it has the matching rigid fork. I noticed you are from Fort Collins and coincidentally I just got back yesterday from Chattanooga with 2 "bomber" cases of Fat Tire Ale.

YoKris

Paint job is called Grello with metallic blue (wasn't called "fade"). In my opinion, they started to apply the signature in the end of '91.

Awesome Yo!

//yo

Butcher

Thanks guys. Any chance you would know the evolution of the tubes used to make Yo’s. I read something about “new” quad butted tubes coming out down the line so it made me wonder what was used is these early frames.

Now about that Fat Tire Brew...you’re making me thirsty! I have several riding buddies that work that New Belgium and one that works at Odell’s.

Butcher

Any chance you would know the evolution of the tubes used to make Yo’s. I read something about “new” quad butted tubes coming out down the line so it made me wonder what was used is these early frames.

Well I found the answer to this bit of trivia from a copy of the Fat Chance product brochure from 1990. It lists the tubes as triple butted...so I'd assume then that the quad butted tubes coincided with the 10th anniversary frame in 1992?

Ok... just to prove I'm obsessed. My quest for information stared when I saw a Yo fork on ebay. Here is one I'm having trouble finding. I see some references to Campagnolo dropouts used on Yo Eddy forks. Since mine are early forks and they have Shimano drop outs it's safe to assume that early Yo forks did not have Campagnolo drop outs. Any one know when the switch was made? Another bit of trivia is I've seen reference to the early non suspension corrected Yo forks axle to crown being shorter than later non-suspension corrected Yo forks as it was felt that the tire clearance was to tight. I've not measured mine, but the tire does run pretty dang close to the crown but it does take a 2.5" tire just fine - just as the 1990 brochure states that it will. So if this is all true, then Yo Eddy's could have come with several possible forks depending on the year.

Non-Suspension corrected with short axle to crown
Non-suspension corrected with lengthend axle to crown?
Suspension corrected?
BOI - factory installed on later Yo's

Can anyone fill in the gaps here?

deitzel

Cactus and A-trail

Hey saw you were from Ft Collins, I used to ride out there back in 91-94 when my brothers lived on North Overland. IS Cactus still there or the A-trail? My goal was always to climb all of cactus without having to come off my pedals. I never did make it up without touching, but always loved those trails. A-trail could get real intense at times. But what did I care, I was 15 years old just trying to go as fast as I could. Anyway, just curious if Ft Fun still had all the great trails I remember.

and O Dells 90 shilling is still the best beer in town.

Butcher

IS Cactus still there or the A-trail? My goal was always to climb all of cactus without having to come off my pedals. I never did make it up without touching, but always loved those trails. A-trail could get real intense at times. But what did I care, I was 15 years old just trying to go as fast as I could. Anyway, just curious if Ft Fun still had all the great trails I remember. and O Dells 90 shilling is still the best beer in town.

A-Trail is still delivering the goods! Smoothed out parts so it's more rideable, but it's still a rocky trials decent with 180 degree switch backs. I don't know Cactus but different groups have different names for some trails. I moved here in 94 and trails have only increased dramatically around here. For example you can ride single track from the North end of Lori State Park to Hyw 34 in loveland, which connects Devils back bone, coyote ridge and of course Horse Tooth Mnt park. Fort Collins has become a destination for riding, but thankfully places like Fruita and Moab still attract the major bike tourist traffic.

misterdangerpants

it does take a 2.5" tire just fine - just as the 1990 brochure states that it will.

nice bike. glad to hear the 2.5" tires work as I just ordered some. I have a 1992 with the Yo fork, and it has Campy dropouts along with the Chris Chance signature decal, if that helps. :D

Butcher

nice bike. glad to hear the 2.5" tires work as I just ordered some. I have a 1992 with the Yo fork, and it has Campy dropouts along with the Chris Chance signature decal, if that helps. :D

That narrows it down. Anyone have a 91 with the original fork? Campy or Shimano dropouts?

As for 2.5 rubber, the trails here can get pretty rocky so I put a 2.5 Maxxis Minion Down Hill Specific UST front tire on it and run it at 25psi. That's how we got suspension back in the day and it does work ok. I'd like to find a non DH specific tire though as it's a tad heavy and the sidewalls are so beefy it's not as complient as I'd like. What kind of 2.5 are you trying?

misterdangerpants

What kind of 2.5 are you trying?

I just ordered Michelin Mountain X'trem UST 2.5 tires in black/grey. I am currently running WTB Mutano 2.4 tires, but really don't like them. I have a couple of sets of Michelin Mountain A/T 2.2 tires that I really like (on my Rhygin & Ted Wojcik), so I'm hoping these rock my world, too. ;)