What to do?

settemarche

glad to be here. excited about finding the forum.

so, i have a 93 Lime Buckshaver that i bought recently. it is sort of a mishmash of original and new parts.

Orig DX Hubs w/ Matix rims
Orig DX front derailler
Orig DX Crank and chainrings
Orig BB - no idea on make????
New Deore rear derailler
New Deore cantilever brakes
Newer LX Rapid Fire shifters and Brake levers
New SRAM 9 speed rear cassestte - still trying to fingure that out on the DX rear hub?
Cane Creek Headset (threadless)
Bomber Z2 fork
Uni - adjustable stem
Monkey Lite - DH bar (gotta go)
Rock Shox suspension seatpost - with sleeve

what do you do? go back to period parts? or just ride it and be happy? it should be noted that i thought this would be a cool bike for my wife - however, when it arrived it was in such nice condition that i am afraid to let her ride it. She now has a Voodoo Erzuile too.

comments appreciated,

7 speed in italian

Attachments

• IMG_2215.jpg
    IMG_2215.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2216.jpg
    IMG_2216.jpg
    358.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    337.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2117.jpg
    IMG_2117.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    343.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2221.jpg
    IMG_2221.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2116.jpg
    IMG_2116.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2112.jpg
    IMG_2112.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2136.jpg
    IMG_2136.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2119.jpg
    IMG_2119.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Spikes

I wouldn't bother finding period 1993 parts, but I would try to get the parts more together. The "Deore" bits are below par for this beauty. I would put 2005-2006 Deore XT bits on it. Keep the hubs as long as they are good. Find yourself Avid brakes + levers with the same color as the XT parts and it will look the works.

I am more concerned with the stem/bar and seatpost though! Apart from the fact that I do not like riser bars (personal), this bike should have more elegant bits (you obviously agree!). Try to find a Ringle Zooka or a nice Salsa (they make the steel stems again), buy a nice seatpost (Ringle, Thomson, etc) en some nice flat bars (Answer Hyperlite would be the best option, otherwise matching Salsa).

The seat (another personal item) doesn't look good either. I'd slap a WTB or a Flite on.

Yo Eddy!

Hi settemarche,

Welcome! Nice find you have there.

What I would do? Probably going for full DX, matching Tange Struts and add some colour (think red and/or blue) with QR, H2O, Zooka for example. I personally like plain, expressive bikes.

settemarche

Spikes said:
I wouldn't bother finding period 1993 parts, but I would try to get the parts more together. The "Deore" bits are below par for this beauty. I would put 2005-2006 Deore XT bits on it. Keep the hubs as long as they are good. Find yourself Avid brakes + levers with the same color as the XT parts and it will look the works.

I am more concerned with the stem/bar and seatpost though! Apart from the fact that I do not like riser bars (personal), this bike should have more elegant bits (you obviously agree!). Try to find a Ringle Zooka or a nice Salsa (they make the steel stems again), buy a nice seatpost (Ringle, Thomson, etc) en some nice flat bars (Answer Hyperlite would be the best option, otherwise matching Salsa).

The seat (another personal item) doesn't look good either. I'd slap a WTB or a Flite on.

Spikes,

That was sort of my feeling with the current Deore. total bottom basement stuff. i need to get that gone. as for the stem and bar - i am right with you. i like a flat bar too and even the silver color of the stem and bar is all wrong to me. i was thinking Ibis for a stem - but they are usually grey, where Salsa is usually black and i think would really compliment the Green paint

The hubs and rims are in excellent shape. i think this guy rode only road. there were slicks on it when i picked it up. but i think an new 9 spd hub body was added to the rear? i am going to take it apart today and see. should i keep it a 9 speed?

the seat is just a 10 dollar Bontrager. there was a gigantic Specialized gel seat on it originally. any thoughts on where to sourse the seat post and or stem?

settemarche

Yo Eddy! said:
Hi settemarche,

Welcome! Nice find you have there.

What I would do? Probably going for full DX, matching Tange Struts and add some colour (think red and/or blue) with QR, H2O, Zooka for example. I personally like plain, expressive bikes.

Melvin,

thanks for the warm welcome. just as i found when visiting your fine country. i have been looking for a DX set up - but have not had any luck with a rear derailler. older style brakes are difficult as well.

as far as the fork goes. i do like the Tange and will start looking around. but i was quite impressed with the Bomber that is on the bike. i rode a little loop close to the house and it felt great. i was thinking about keeping the fork and just de-stickering it. then getting a new stem/bar and such.

thanks,

Jeff

Spikes

Hi there again,

Ibis stems rule. I love 'em and I don't care they are not black. Thet look great on any bike and would not look wrong on your Buck too. Keep an eye out for them at eBay. Thet usually cost aroud $90. A seatpost like the Thomson can be bought cheap at www.chainreactioncycles.com or otherwise, try www.bikeman.com or www.speedgoat.com.

About the speeds: see what your findings are. Eight or nine speed, it really doesn't matter. Maybe you'll need a new shifter. I personally love Gripshift, but triggers have their fans too.

Last edited:

Yo Eddy!

settemarche said:
thanks for the warm welcome. just as i found when visiting your fine country. i have been looking for a DX set up - but have not had any luck with a rear derailler. older style brakes are difficult as well.

Hi Jeff,

What I always do is scoring a mint DX or XT bike from time to time. Not that difficult to find and really cheap as most people consider them as useless old trash. Stupidos ;)

settemarche

Yo Eddy! said:
Hi Jeff,

What I always do is scoring a mint DX or XT bike from time to time. Not that difficult to find and really cheap as most people consider them as useless old trash. Stupidos ;)

Melvin,

classic comment on the older bikes. i am always looking for those bikes. there is sort of a Mexican swap meet locally near me at a Junior College. i just look around for complete bikes and wheel sets. last week i got a mid 90's LX Parrallax hub set with Specialized rims for $5. they were actually in pretty good shape.

before the F1 race tomorrow i am going to have a look again. a lot of Altus C stuff. but i don't think that belongs on the Buchshaver. we shall see what we can find