Shiping bike overseas

Karl

HELP !
Has anyone tried to ship a bike overseas?
In this case I want to ship a bike from the UK to the USA.
Anyone have any suggestions or experience?

Thanks all.....
Karl

Doug Carter

Staff member
I have gone the opposite way, from the US to the UK, and FedEx is the best, but it isn't cheap. None of them are cheap. FedEx had a full bike to England in 4-5 days, if I remember correctly. I think the cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $230 for a 32 pound bike box.

It is a true pain in the ass, though, but worth it for those guys across the pond with the exchange rates or if you found something that you absolutely can't live without from over there.

lucifer

I second fed ex. Never shipped a bike but they have sent guitars and basses for me as far as australia without incident.

Karl

Thanks Guys,
looks like Fed Ex is the way to go, quoted about $250 for UK to US
I'll let ya know how I make out.

Thanks again, and to Doug, once again thanks for the site!

Karl

Yo Eddy!

I don't know how it is in the opposite direction, but when I imported my Yo! I also had to pay duties (15% over bike+shipping) and VAT (17,5% over bike+shipping+duties), but I had the advantage of favourable exchange rate's (I could substract 1/5 from bike+shiping), while you have to add 1/3.

Not cheap, but thanx you are willing to stimulate our economies :lol:

scant

I've only imported from the US to UK. since then I've heard that USPS insured ground is the cheap, safe but slow way to import.
Surely royal snail in the UK do a insured overseas service that is cheaper than that?

Spikes

FedEx is the way to go. UPS is more expensive and they have an unreliable online tracking system. USPS has a bad habbit of losing expensive stuff over the oceans when flying from the new to the old world or back. Expect around $250-$300 without your VAT and your customs duties.

I quote: "quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten."

lucifer

In all my ebaying life I have discovered that it is fairly cheap to send things o britain and very expensive to send anything bigger than a letter from britain to the US.