• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

BB and Sansin hub bearings

mainlyfats

I have an extra set (4) of new cartridge bearings that fit Sansin hubs. These came stock on a bunch of Fat build kits starting in the late 80's.

I also have a set of BB bearings with clips. Brand new.

PM me for details and with offers.

Crunch no more!

mainlyfats

I was curious about the Sansin hubs used on Fats. I have an 86 with hub shells that say Sansin and a front Sansin skewer, but the chrome caps over the bearings say Specialized. This bike is pretty much original condition, so I was wondering if anyone else has seen anything like that.

I'm pretty sure Sansin made the Specialized hubs way back when. Did you buy the bike new like that? If not, those caps are really easy to bend when removing bearings with a punch and screwdriver, so it could be that a previous owner had them "replaced" unsuspectingly by a shop.

FYI - the BB bearings are gone, but the hub bearings are still available should anyone need a set.

datawhacker

the specialized caps were on the bike when I got it. the condition of the bike was quite bad, but it didn't look like anything had every been replaced or even maintained. The ground control tires looked like they were quite new, other than sidewall fading from age. Its possible that the caps were swapped, but seems unlikely that all four would be changed out on a bike that was that unmaintained. I just posted a pic of the bike on the registry, here it is again. Its a 26/24.

Kevin Grady

Sansin with Specialized caps?

Yep! Looks exactly like a low flange Sugino Gyro Master hub, right down to the bevel on the flange. I say it's identical.

datawhacker

So I got out a few hubs and the Sansin on my Fat looks most like a Specialized. Bottom row, left to right is Specialized (marked on caps and skewer), Sunshine Gyromaster, and XC Pro (just for fun)

Bssc

Sansin hubs were relabeled by Suntour, Specialized,Minche, and early WTB excellent hubs I have several pairs both built and as spares. Of the above listed names only suntour wet to the bother of having lip seals made for the bearings with their name on them.