Rigid fork question for Monster

rthomer

Hi all,

I have a 91 Monster and I'm looking for a rigid fork. I'm looking for a Yo type, not the original tange strut and I know my Monster wasn't designed for suspension.

The questions are:

1. Can a Yo fork work on Monster, is the length and rake the same for non suspension Fat frames?
2. How do I make sure I'm not buying a suspension corrected fork? What length fork is correct for my Monster.
3. What is the difference between a Big One inch and a Boi fork, if any?

I am presently looking at a few forks for sale thanks to responses to my search for a fork on this site, any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Robert

Butcher

Your more than likely going to get the right non suspension corrected fork if you get a Yo Eddy fork since by the time Fat City was making suspension corrected frames Yo's were getting the BOI (Big One Inch - same thing) fork. You can tell the difference between a Yo Eddy fork and a BOI by measuring the diameter of the fork blades. 1 1/8" is a Yo Eddy Fork and 1" is the BOI. The BOI was made in both corrected and non-corrected versions and came on the scene with the 10th anniversary bike in 1992.

For reference I just measured the axle to crown on my 91 Monster with original Tange Struts fork and its 380mm. I seem to remember that the Monster Fat shared geometry with the Yo so the forks should be completely interchangable with predictable handling results.

Hope that helps.

rthomer

Fork question again.....

Thanks for your response to my question.
I did discover one thing in a 92 catalog. The Monster specs indicate that the fork rake is 1 3/4" vs.
1 1/2" for the YO. the geometry is similar, the wheel base on a Medium Monster is slightly longer, all other angles, seat and top tube lengths are the same.
The question is do you think there is an issue using a YO fork on the Monster, it's going to affect the handling some,,,or am I over thinking this whole thing??

Butcher

I got your PM and replied there.

For anyone else looking at the thread I think the Yo fork would work well on your Monster.