26.4 post, what were they thinking?

IF52

Seriously, what were they thinking. Why such a goofy small seatpost diameter, what there any logic behind it or was chris just trying to be different?

mainlyfats

Tubing

Seriously, what were they thinking. Why such a goofy small seatpost diameter, what there any logic behind it or was chris just trying to be different?

I think it's a True Temper thing. 26.4 was a really popular European race bike size back in the day too.

IF52

Ah, yeah, he did start frame building back in the 70's, I didn't think of that. Even so, it still wasn't that popular a size, except maybe on French bikes or some oddball bikes from Asia.

It stinks, that stupid size is so freakin hard to find in a decent post.

IF52

Yeah, but they are all about a long as my thumb. Something decent in a typical mountain bike length I guess.

mainlyfats

Wheels manufacturing

Makes a 25.5 to 26.4 shim. That opens your options to every high-end BMX post being made today. Hello Thomson!

Failing that - and not to harp on this - but Suntour XC posts come up on eBay every now and again and don't seem to command a super-high price. They are the finest available ATMO.

colker

Makes a 25.5 to 26.4 shim. That opens your options to every high-end BMX post being made today. Hello Thomson!

Failing that - and not to harp on this - but Suntour XC posts come up on eBay every now and again and don't seem to command a super-high price. They are the finest available ATMO.

suntour xc posts are a total love experience.:D though it took me quite some time to find one. and i said no thanks to a syncros.

colker

Ah, yeah, he did start frame building back in the 70's, I didn't think of that. Even so, it still wasn't that popular a size, except maybe on French bikes or some oddball bikes from Asia.

It stinks, that stupid size is so freakin hard to find in a decent post.

26.4 was popular then... unlike 27.2.

billyb

I bought a Kalloy Uno when I first built the Wicked with intentions of buying a better one later. Well that wasin 95 and the Kalloy is still in there after 8 zillion miles;)

IF52

I've thought about getting a shim. Kind of seems kludgie, but certainly an alternative. The Uno I have now has soooo much layback it would be nice to get a zero layback post like a Thomson.

Colker,

Why no to Syncros? Are they really that weak? I've had one on my IF since '96 with no issues, but have heard the heads/clamps are prone to failure.

Wasn't 27.2 already popular on Italian bikes in the 70's? Certainly by the early to mid 80's when I really got more into bikes it was.

Yo Eddy!

A few days ago NOS 26.4 American Classic seatpost were for sale at eBay for cheap. Purple, silver, black...

I didn't call it, as not everybody appreciates that, especially people really looking and already on it.

I am sorry for the others :( Can't help