Help! My Yo! rusted through on the seat tube

mcgurme

It was a bad day :skull: . I was so excited about putting my '92 Yo Eddy back together towards its original condition. And then, today when cleaning it, I noticed a bubble in the paint on the bottom rear of the seat tube. I prodded around with a screwdriver - and it went through - about 1/4" dia. Then looking more closely, I had two other bubbles. The second one was on the left side, and also went through upon prodding, about 1/8". The third one, on the right side, doesn't seem to have gone all the way through, yet.

I am so depressed!

Any suggestions for how to deal with this? I love my Yo and don't want her eaten away by rust devils! And I'm concerned about how much this might weaken the frame.

I think this happened because I had it repainted in around '96, and a bit of rust had already begun in there from using the bike for commuting. Then, I don't think the guy who repainted it did any kind of special rust treatment - but even if he did, I didn't know any better, so I didn't do any upkeep. Well, I'm sorry now - I won't make that mistake again.

Please help!
Morgan

Yo Eddy!

Hi Morgan,

Too bad to hear this.

The good news is a seattube can be replaced. It also provides you an excuse to give you Yo a fresh repaint in any colour/paintscheme you like.

The bad news is it will set you back a couple of hundreds....

People on you side of the pond can inform you on what shops are able to do this correctly.

mcgurme

Hi

So the one guy I've been able to contact locally about this so far also said he'd want to replace the seat tube, but then he went on to imply that "it wasn't worth it" and that it would be very expensive...

I wonder why I can't just get it patched? I realize it may not last forever, but nothing does. At least I'd get a few more nice years out of her...

And as for bottom brackets, I have a Cook brother's in there, not the press-in one.... so it is all good on that front.

Morgan

Yo Eddy!

"it wasn't worth it"

I think that is strictly personal. By seeing an average 2000 euros costing 2006 aluminium rig I also think it isn't worth it. Quite a lot people don't.

When proper treated a Yo can last very long btw.

rody

Morgan,

If you are looking to bring her back to her glory and plan on riding her, replacing the seat tube is the only way to go.

No frame builder who values his liability insurace will patch it for you :( .

Comes down to this, if you love the frame and anticipate riding it for years to come, fix it right.

As Mel points out, would be a great time to repaint it as well.

cheers,

rody

mcgurme

Ok, so I am convinced about replacing the seat tube. I got out the dremel grinder and ground all the rust away. Now I have holes on right, left, and rear of seat tube, the largest one in the rear being 1/2" long by about 1/4" tall. Bummer. It looks like when it was painted around '96, rust had already begun there, and the guy who did it just patched it with bondo. I recall him saying something to me, and I wish I had taken it seriously!

I suppose patching it would be a quick fix, but not a good fix. I got so depressed today, I even started thinking about saving up for an IF. But then decided, yes, I need to get the Yo fixed right.

So, next question, who can do it, and do it right? So far, I've emailed three possibilities, but it being a weekend, I haven't heard back (Independent Fab, Rody, and a sort-of local shop named BREW).

Any other ideas for who can do this?

Thanks for all the feedback,

Morgan

mcgurme

Thanks for all the suggestions! I also got a reply from Rody, so will be discussing possibilities with him. I'll definitely drop vicious a line.

fatfreddy

I recently broke the derailleur hanger off mo YO. I sent it to TED WOJCIK to have the work done. He was about four hundred less than Vicious cycles. He repainted and anew decals. Got the old team lavender paint. Ted is the man.

rody

Bushpig,

Nice way to say alot without anything at all...

(liked the "reason" for edit :redface: )

cheers,

rody