FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old January 6th, 2020, 11:40 AM   #1
wondermoose

Default Finding a replacement fork for 94 Wicked Lite

I picked up my Fat a few years ago and it came with some Manitou forks that worked wonders on the rolling single track of upstate NY. Well, now I live out west and the rocky terrain just ain't as much fun with my Fat (and, honestly, it isn't as much fun period). I have started transitioning it into my daily commuter and want to swap the suspension in for a rigid fork - I understand that finding a replica is, uh, not cheap so I'm looking for something a little more reasonable. 1" threadless forks are hard to find anyway, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a company that is currently doing replicas (I know Soma used to produce a classic CX fork but discontinued it). Not sure what kind of suspension correction I need or what other measurements might be necessary to maintain the geometry, but any advice is greatly appreciated!

Here's my ride:

Thanks!

EDIT: After a little more searching, I found this guy: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/pro...3?category=774

Anyone have any experience with these?

Last edited by wondermoose; January 6th, 2020 at 12:17 PM.
wondermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2020, 10:36 PM   #2
colker

That´s a susp corrected 19 in wicked. Fork is the common unicrown. A good replacement would be a vicious cycles 415mm 1in.
Old April 27th, 2020, 9:31 AM   #3
AB

https://www.groovycycleworks.com/

Rody is a member here.

AB
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2020, 12:24 PM   #4
wondermoose

Found a suitable replacement at the local collective. It's a tad shorter (400 axel to crown) but has been a huge improvement over the old suspension. Once this pandemic business is over, it'll be my daily rider... Not much more I need or want to do to it. The rails on this saddle aren't really suited for the old fixed-angle Syncros posts, but it's actually not uncomfortable at all (at least within my 20 mile roundtrip). Maybe a modern crankset, but that's way down the line. Either of you know what the bottom bracket dimensions are? Or if modern tech is even possible on the mid-90s frames?

wondermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2020, 1:17 PM   #5
Stingercut

Chris King and Cane Creek used to do extra thick headset base plates 5-10mm if you can find one. That will take the A-C closer to 415mm and slacken/correct the ‘twitchier’ front geometry. The BBs are std 68mm shells on these. I have a Cook Broa RSR on mine 127mm axle width. Some of the nice BBs are pretty adjustable to accommodate different shells. Great looking fast bikes that ride great. Enjoy
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2020, 9:48 AM   #6
colker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermoose View Post
Found a suitable replacement at the local collective. It's a tad shorter (400 axel to crown) but has been a huge improvement over the old suspension. Once this pandemic business is over, it'll be my daily rider... Not much more I need or want to do to it. The rails on this saddle aren't really suited for the old fixed-angle Syncros posts, but it's actually not uncomfortable at all (at least within my 20 mile roundtrip). Maybe a modern crankset, but that's way down the line. Either of you know what the bottom bracket dimensions are? Or if modern tech is even possible on the mid-90s frames?

That´s not a fixed angle seatpost- on the contrary: you can set any angle you want just by tightening and loosing each bolt.
You could have any new bb there since it´s a wicked lite w/ threaded bb shell... but why? Sq tapers do what a BB needs to do.
I am on the rigid fork camp as well. Can´t wait to have a rigid fork on my 00 ibis. So much more fun to have a precise feeling from the front.

Tags
fork, wicked lite