Wicked or not?

DaveH

I got a hold of a what I think is a 87 Fat. S/N 87406 it has a u brake mount. My question is what
the difference between a regular fat chance and a wicked? Its still has the original paint, its bright blue with a yellow fork.

DaveH

bruce t

Sounds like a regular Fat Chance, pre-wicked. The Wickeds usually had a W in the serial number, and most were set up for canti's.

Cheers, bt

fat-d

I got a hold of a what I think is a 87 Fat. S/N 87406 it has a u brake mount. My question is what
the difference between a regular fat chance and a wicked? Its still has the original paint, its bright blue with a yellow fork.
Does it still have the decals on the downtube? If it's a Wicked it should say "Wicked Fat Chance", otherwise it will just say "Fat Chance". You have a 1987 frame. I believe the 1987 Wickeds used the chainstay-mounted U-brake, and the 1987 Wicked serial numbers did not include a W to denote Wicked - that began in 1988. So it's a bit tricky to determine which frame you have if it doesn't have the original decals. There are probably *some* differences between the early Wicked and regular Fat Chance frames, but I don't have enough experience with the regular Fat Chance frames to know what to look for.

To look at serial numbers and other specs, read through the frame registry thread on this forum and you'll find an Excel spreadsheet with quite a few entires. You can also go to http://www.firstflightbikes.com/fat.htm for more info.

DaveH

It has wicked decals but i can tell that they have been recently be put on. So I dont think its a wicked. But
this one is identical to both the 87 fat chance bikes on first flight bikes. Mine dose have the bullet cap stays the wicked had shown in the pic, I wonder if the Fat Chance has these type of stays?

DaveH

fat-d

Cool scans, that's a good resource. I read through the '87 review. Loved this quote:

"The Wicked Fat Chance will go a long way toward making you look sharp." Yeah, baby!