87 Fat Chance

Dr S

Hi all from another newbie. Great site with some very nice FATs.
Thought I would introduce myself with my 1987 FAT CHANCE. This bike came from its original owner in LA and is 100% original apart from fresh paint as 22 years of use had left it looking very second hand.
This bike was originally ordered all black with no decals and is now in back in regular use after a sympathetic refurb. The only parts I have changed are the mechs (back to M730 as 733's had been fitted around 15 years ago due to wear). It still runs its original BB bearings and heavy duty shimano cables! The original biopace rings were removed when new but have been refitted. Frame and fork was powdercoated for toughness and then hand polished to get a lovely glossy finish. I have also added decals but in satin black to retain the original all black look- you have to get up close to see them.
Absolutely love the way it rides, those wide FAT bars and Salsa stem giving a great riding position. Since resto it has done several rides with fellow retro bikers as well as local rides and commutes. Although its lovingly cared for and maintained, its getting plenty of use- after all, FATs are the finest steel bikes ever built- would be a shame not to get it dirty!

Hope you like.

Si

3706472411_7ab927b29c_b.jpg

3408976707_7aaab93792.jpg

3409792134_f5abaa914e.jpg

3408985123_3cd447bfb7_b.jpg

Getting out and about in Yorkshire, England.

3403365297_0673350ce7.jpg

3403349021_95f4e34b86.jpg

cheers
Si

Last edited:

bonsaii

Nice introduction

Iron and you are very welcome! :cool:

Very nice bike! Love the decals!

Cherio!

-bns

DC

Wow! Great job on the restoration. It is great that your are not afraid to ride it like it was meant to be ridden!
Welcome to FAT Cogs!
DC

Butcher

I like those early Fats. The black on black decals was a good idea and the results are very clean and classy. I'm glad to see you have it out on the trails too.

Any idea what the rise and reach on that stem is?

RobTu

Hey, funny seeing you around these parts...j/k

Nice build...love the cleanliness.

Question: On the originals wasn't the True Temper decal lower on the seat tube, and an american flag, where you have the true temper decal?

fatbikey

where did you get those decals?

Can you tell me where you got the decals? I have what looks like an 87 fat chance that needs a repaint.

Also, does anyone know if the early fat chances had the press-in bb as well? when I bought mine, someone had tapped it for italian threading which quickly stripped.

Dr S

Hey, funny seeing you around these parts...j/k

Nice build...love the cleanliness.

Question: On the originals wasn't the True Temper decal lower on the seat tube, and an american flag, where you have the true temper decal?

Cheers Rob. At the time I had nothing to work off regarding the decal placement. I have removed both flag and true temper decals since the pics were taken and it looks much cleaner for it.

Si

Dr S

Can you tell me where you got the decals? I have what looks like an 87 fat chance that needs a repaint.

Also, does anyone know if the early fat chances had the press-in bb as well? when I bought mine, someone had tapped it for italian threading which quickly stripped.

Hi

Decals were suplied by the Gil over on retrobike and he did a superb job as ever.

This 87 has the press in bearings which are available from Rody at Groovy Cycleworks. Amazingly this bike is still running its original BB bearings which are now 22 years old. they are still butter smooth too!

Paint was not great on this bike when I bought it so I had it powdered with a local company who do all my frames. I then wet flatted it down with 1500 grade wet and dry paper before polishing it by hand with compound. The finish is just as good as wet paint and is super tough- my Schwinn Excelsior fell on top of it in the back of the truck last month and there isn't a mark on it.

Cheers
Si