Can you ID this?

Doug Carter

Staff member
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=98083&item=7135254874&rd=1

I don't recognize any of the pieces on this frame. Is it a Fat? Brake mounts under the chainstays? Cable guides on the top of the bottom bracket? Rack mounts? No downtube gusset, either. Maybe my old Fat idenitifcation skills aren't up to snuff, but that bike doesn't look familliar at all. If it is a Fat, it's gotta be older than '89.

What is it?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yo' djblu

Yeah I was looking at that.. Strange... I was thinking this guy dont know what is up. There are also 2 monster fats on ebay now and they are both different as well. HMMMMM..

anyway thanks for this site! U are the man!!!!

djblu

rick

broken Fat Chance

By the serial number, the broken Fat appears to be an 85.

Not having a gusset at the head tube/down tube is not that unusual for the earlier bikes, I have a few like that, up to and including an 89.
Looking at this bike, perhaps this is the justification for the gusset?

I have not seen many with the cable routing above the BB, but I do have an 86 that is just like that.

Regarding the Monster Fat for sale with "special" decals, it is certainly a Wicked frame and Wicked serial number, but it might really be a Monster. The very early Monster was built with a Wicked frame, Monster decals and lesser components. I guess that you would have to check with Wendyll to confirm if this frame was originally sold as a Monster.

I have one of these frames, can't recall the serial number without looking, also have a magazine article/review that tells the story.

rick

scant

I mailed wendyl about this frame. its deffo an 85 FAT. the cable guide above the BB was known in FAT terms as a "noodle"
Feel free to bid away. in UK terms its