Forum Changes Coming Up This Weekend

Doug Carter

Staff member
Hey all,

I would like to thank you all for joining this little community since we started it last summer. I didn't think it would do much, considering it was for a company that stopped selling bikes 5 years ago. Well, I was surprised at the growth, albeit small, of the Fat collectors and owners community.

This announcement is to let everyone know that over the weekend I will be making some changes to these forums. This software was experimental for me, and was actually a beta test for another forum community I manage. It didn't pass the test, and I went with another software package, that works much better.

I will be converting this forum over to the new software this weekend, and hopefully give us more ability to do different things, including uploading pictures and files directly to the site.

The site will also now be accessible through http://www.oldschoolmtb.com which was set up for a different experiment that didn't work out as well as I thought it would. The potential for a site devoteed to ALL companies that had a part in the foundations of mountain biking is real, as well as a forum community. I still haven't figure out how I will merge these two ideas, but I'm working on that.

If anyone has any suggestions for the new community, I'm open to ideas.

doug

Doug Carter

Staff member
Coming from UBB for the last 5 years, and now using vBulletin on apexspeed.com for the last 4 months, I have become accustomed to a very extensive and detailed Control Panel. phpBB does not offer anything out of the box, and spending my own time modifying the forums to suit my needs on the back-end and on the interface side, is not high on my list of things to do. I heard lots of good things about phpBB before I tested it, and I was completely let down. It was easy to install, but administration and management is really weak.

I love php database-driven web software, but programming my own forums is not something I want to do. ;)

lucifer

yeah it does require a fair amount of tweaking to get it to do fancy things. Still most of those tweaks can be found out there for cut and pasting.