Building up a frame

fat-tony

Staff member
The "93 Yo that is on it's way has: Xt bottom bracket, SID fork, Kore stem, and Dean seat post. Question to you all, I want to put 1993 parts on it, like XT, XTR, etc, and I know I want SIS XT top mount thumb shifters, but sorry to say, I never kept up with the exact specifics of what was going on at that time, so I need help knowing what I am looking for. Am I looking for Shimano M750 stuff or what? Do you recommend Cooks Brothers cranks over the Shimano?

I guess the real question is: If you all where just starting out, what components would you put together that would make it the sh*t.

Thanks!

Yo Eddy!

fat-tony said:
The "93 Yo that is on it's way has: Xt bottom bracket, SID fork, Kore stem, and Dean seat post. Question to you all, I want to put 1993 parts on it, like XT, XTR, etc, and I know I want SIS XT top mount thumb shifters, but sorry to say, I never kept up with the exact specifics of what was going on at that time, so I need help knowing what I am looking for. Am I looking for Shimano M750 stuff or what? Do you recommend Cooks Brothers cranks over the Shimano?

I guess the real question is: If you all where just starting out, what components would you put together that would make it the sh*t.

Thanks!

Now you are in a great stage. Picking components and seeing the Yo! grow.

I think first you have to ask yourself what you want to do with it. Do you want to hammer it everyday, will it be just one of ten bikes (you can only ride one, so wear wil be less), won't it see much very rough stuff, do you want it period correct etc etc ?

I case I had no stuff laying around and I had enough funds and I had a Yo! frameset a nice configuration would be Yo! fork, Campy Record OR, Syncros, Brooks. Syncros over Ringle as I think I will have a more durable bike than. For me this selection will be both classy and great functioning.

On the crank issue: I have several XTR M900 and XT M730 cranksets and for me they are great. Have no experience with Cook Bros, but think those are great too. Don't think there is a rational reason to go for them instead of the Shimanos.

Check First Flight's Shimano timeline on what you should be looking for in case you want it period correct: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/shimano.htm

MTBR.com could also be helpfull with reviews of people who used the stuff, especially when there are much reviews on a particular product.

scant

parts..

yeh component spec when building an inkeeping "retro build" is easily spilt between rideable (often more boring) or unrideable! (often exciting to look at!)