Older Fatty - What's it worth?

blb111

Per my question about what my Fat Chance might worth. Here's some extra info and photos... (Does it have any 'collector' value?

I purchased it new in 1984 or 85 from a bike shop in Manhattan.

Size: 20" frame
Color: Red w/black handle bars (Original paint on both)
Other items: Newer - Brakes (ProMax), Chain, Rims (Richey Vantage Sport with Shimano hubs), Tires, Rear Derailer (Shimano Deore XT) & Sproket.
Soft Seat - Serfas

I did find a faint number 'stamped' into the underside of the bike. I guess it's the
serial #.... It appears to be 5347.

Also, the sticker on the front of the Bike reads "FAT City Cycles".

I hope that helps. Here's some photos:

Bruce

Attachments

• Fat Chance Front2.gif
    Fat Chance Front2.gif
    144.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Fat-Chance Full shot 2.gif
    Fat-Chance Full shot 2.gif
    114.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Yo Eddy!

Hi Bruce;

On the bottom of the page you find the 'Manage Attachments' button. I think that is the easiest way to go.

Other way to go is by using this photo upload link: http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/upload.asp and than copy/paste the URL between

Final option is emailing them to me and they will soon be on FatCogs.

mainlyfats

Your Fat

I'd say it's worth about $300-$325. There is very little stock about the bike and - although I can't really tell from your pictures (do your dropouts say G.P. Wilson?) - it looks like a piece-together using the old Fat Chance (ie Non Wicked, ie slack angle, short TT, recreational) frame.

It's a cool bike. The shifters are awesome.

Last edited:

rick

Fat Chance

Bruce,

Can't tell much detail from your pictures, but your bike looks to be in good condition, including the details (which is uncommon).

I would expect to see at least another digit in your serial number, (maybe not), but the paint sometimes makes it difficult to decipher.

The red fork is somewhat less common than a black one (I like it). Many people would prefer the stock components, but if it is a bike that you wish to ride, rather than hang on a wall, use whatever parts that you like. I have some bikes that are completly stock, others that have no stock parts, and others somewhere in between.

From the components that I can see, I would guess mid-to-late 80s for your bike. With a few more photos of the remaining stock parts we could probably refine that date. The Fat was measured center-to-top, so your bike is either a 19.5" or a 21".

Determning the value of a bike is the most difficult question to answer. If you plan to keep it, don't worry about that. If you plan on selling it, check past sales on e-bay.

rick

Doug Carter

Staff member
Yes, our collective goal is to rescue all unwanted, neglected and ignored Fats from all corners of the globe. Someday, we wll own them all.

biggrin.gif

Half of the answer is within you.

blb111 said:
Per my question about what my Fat Chance might worth. Here's some extra info and photos... (Does it have any 'collector' value?

I purchased it new in 1984 or 85 from a bike shop in Manhattan.

Size: 20" frame
Color: Red w/black handle bars (Original paint on both)
Other items: Newer - Brakes (ProMax), Chain, Rims (Richey Vantage Sport with Shimano hubs), Tires, Rear Derailer (Shimano Deore XT) & Sproket.
Soft Seat - Serfas

I did find a faint number 'stamped' into the underside of the bike. I guess it's the
serial #.... It appears to be 5347.

Also, the sticker on the front of the Bike reads "FAT City Cycles".

I hope that helps. Here's some photos:

Bruce

Bruce- nice looking bike - good color, paint in good condition. About the general question, "What's it worth?" Half the answer lies in what it is worth to you. If you've had alot of fun on the bike, have great memories, still love the way you feel riding it - it might be worth alot to you. The other half is the market and is variable depending on the whims of who's got money burning a hole in their pocket and what they want to buy with it that day. If the bike doesn't hold a special status with you and there's no emotional attachment, offer it for sale and you'll get the answer to the second part of the question.

I bought a Slim that was delivered to my office last Friday (May 6, 2005). It's bright green on top, navy blue near the hubs and has a gray/pink decal on it. One of my co-workers said "You paid what for that?!" I can see where it might not appeal to somebody with no past connection with Fat City Cycles with its kinda funky looking paint scheme. The bike held no value for him. As for me, I don't know how much it's worth in the open market (although I assume nobody offered more than I did - so classical economics says it worth what I paid), but it's worth alot to me. It's from a simiar time period as my Yo, which I got new when I lived in the Sierra Nevada Mountains in the summer with a group of friends that I value and stay in touch with, so there is an emotional connection associated with the bike. It wqas a special time in my life and several of my friends were riding Fats. Anyways, the new (old) Slim's got a box crown fork which I really like for no real reason, but that adds value for me. For me it's all about intangables and the feelings of freedom, joy, and youth re-visited that being on a bike gives me. And with a Fat City Cycles bike in particular, I get a grin just looking at it. No real reason other than it just speaks to me. -Max