What is this?

mrjarbles

I have the opportunity to buy what is represented as a Fat Chance, Yo Eddy. The pics of the bike are unlike any yo eddy I have seen. Can anyone confirm that this is a yo eddy? Is this a factory paint job? General advice? Seller claims the headtube has the face and "team" under it. Also reads "Made in Saratoga County New York." See link below.

http://webpages.charter.net/mrjarbles/Misc/FAT/

Last edited:

forest warrior

it s not easy to evalute it from these pics. maybe pic 3 is the best ? ;)

however, regarding the cablerouting and the angles it could be a yo.
ask for pictures of the drop-outs and from behind (gusset which connects the seatstays) and the frame nr (bottombracket).

ride on

Yo Eddy!

Crappy pics!

Non-tapered stays are a FAT feature. Serotta paintjob. FATs were built at Serotta in those days, but never saw one with Serotta paint.

Advice: Ask for more decent pics to get a better notion of condition. Of course also relevant factors to get a better view: Componentry and price.

For now: Nice Salsa stem. Judy seems to be matching. Bike has been riden as rims, pedals have wear.

ser4C.jpg

Last edited:

mrjarbles

components are Deore XT. Price: $300. Seller knows nothing about bikes. I have asked for the serial number. So this looks like a Serotta painted yo eddy? What do you mean it looks ridden as rims.?

John

Administrator
Staff member
mrjarbles said:
What do you mean it looks ridden as rims.?

He means the pedals and rims have been used - hence it's been ridden. The gruppo (or what I can see of it) does appear to be mid 90s XT. As has been said before more details are required. For US$300 it might be worth a punt.

Yo Eddy!

If seattube not rusted through it is a bargain. Check or have it checked with a flashlight. Consider wall tickness is only 0.5 mm at some places. Most vulnerable is just above bracket.

Front rim is silver, rear rim is black anodized. One of both wheels has probably been replaced. The rear wheels shows some wear as anodising is gone due to braking. This happens pretty soon, but it shows bike has been ridden and bike is not mint. Pedals are showing some wear too and for as far as can be seen chainstay paint has also some damage. Concluding: At a 300 asking price it is a bargain if no rust, but considering the amount of wear that can be noticed I would say there is a fair chance you won't have a hassle free bike.

BTW first thing I would do after acquiring it: Getting rid of the seat and the weird post and barend setup :eek:

John

Administrator
Staff member
Yo Eddy! said:
BTW first thing I would do after acquiring it: Getting rid of the seat and the weird post and barend setup :eek:

That saddle looks damn comfy to me.

Nice De Rosa one directory down
biggrin.gif

mrjarbles

Thanks for the tips. I wil try to get additional info, but this is probably one of those deals where you have to risk it. Hard enough to convince to take to an LBS to ship (as opposed to her just packing it herself). Seller isn't very motivated to get additional info. I think the seatpost is on backwards; that's why it looks strange.

Yo Eddy!

FAT and Serotta teamed up late '94. With eye on the components and that a canti cablestopper is still present '95 or '96 is most likely. FAT numbering is a bit abacadabra, whether the last 6 represents '96 is a bit vague to me.

What is not vague is that it is a Large Yo and that it definately is a FAT #

mrjarbles

I spoke to the seller on this bike again. He said one of the water bottle mounts is missing. Not just the bolt, but the actual "insert" which includes the threading. Does this present a problem? This relates to the "blind" water bottle holes right? Having not seen on in person, this sounds like something that is brazed into the frame. Wonder if it is jingling around in the tubes?

scant

I'd be pretty amazed if 1 of the bottle bosses had somehow became loose & unattached. its pretty easy to pick up FAT frame numbers from elsewhere. As suggested get pics specifically of the down/ head tube gusset & the dropouts?

otherwise I'd tread carefully...

yo' djblu

Or u could just buy the darn thing. It is only 300 bucks. If it aint right and u no like then drop it on ebay. If you get it and it needs a little TLC well hell, aint that part of the fun!

John

Administrator
Staff member
Good score for US$300 assuming it is a Yo (I'm not doubting you). Get a nice respray an you're away.