Frame Painters in NC

WVEddy

Is there anyone in North Carolina that does frame painting? I am strongly considering returning my frame to the original Team Violet. I am thinking either a single color with frame and fork or another two color fade with Team Violet as one of the colors.

rick

painting in NC

I also live in NC and sent my SAB to Rody at Groovy Cycles to re-paint in team violet. I was concerned about being able to match the color and know that Rody has the color dialed in. The bad news is that Rody has a serious back log of work, can be a problem if this is your primary ride.
I have also used AirGlow painting in Georgia; they did a good job but did not match the original neon orange color on one of my Wickeds. The guys at First Flight sent my Yo to Air Art in CA for a harlequin paint job and it came out beautiful (probably better than the original paint). Air Glow pricing was reasonable, Air Art was a bit more costly.

rick

WVEddy

Time frame was a concern. I wanted to get the old girl back together for spring riding. I might just have to keep the current paint job this year and then send off next winter. What kind of time frame did you see?

rick

ummm...Airglow was pretty quick, a week or two I think. Not sure about AirArt as I did not send it off myself, I would guess a month or two maybe? Rody is defintely longer (still has the bike actually) but to be fair I did tell him that I was in no hurry to get it back. The team violet can be tough to match, although I believe that Rody shared his formula for it on this site a while back. If you only have one bike to ride, waiting a long time can certainly be a problem.

IF52

I don't think Airglow is around anymore. I tried calling them a while back and no answer. Likewise with e-mail. They were sort of our local frame painter when I lived in Atlanta, and we sent work their way. The did nice work. Shame they don't appear to be around any longer.

WVEddy

Thanks. I think riding out this year and then planning ahead for next winter might be my best option. I also have a few feelers out for painters through my LBS. I had an auto body shop paint it last time (owner was a biker). the overall job was good and has lasted, but they screwed up the team violet color mix. Not sure if i want to go down that path again.

mwrun

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but noticed the discussion of Airglow and wanted to encourage anyone thinking of having their bike painted to NOT USE Airglow.

They've had my frame since November 2010 and now, six months later, they still have it, along with several hundred of my dollars. The person listed as the contact on their website, Ronnie Lindsey, doesn't appear to have anything to do with the business. He simply forwards you on to Hill Clarke.

Clarke has done some work on my frame, as evidenced by photos he's sent. But in the rare instances when he responds to email, he has excuse after excuse for why it's not done yet. I was supposed to leave for a charity ride in May, but had to postpone because of this. It won't do any good, but I filed a Better Business Bureau complaint last week and would expect there will be legal dealings at some point.

In summation, DO NOT USE Airglow.