1991 Monster redux

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Here's the next round of Monster from me. Got it bone stock, and couldn't leave it alone. Yet to do cables and chain, but you get the idea.

As it started (though with a different Turbo as I was reglueing the Gel Turbo)
Monster1-1.jpg

IMG_3804-1.jpg

IMG_3806-1.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3817.jpg

And the lightly retro-modded current state of the beast.
IMG_3837.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg

Frame: 1991 Monster Fat Chance
Fork: Rody's Ho Down
silver King headset
Thomson stem
Surley 1x1 bar
Ritchey grips
XT 730 series thumbshifters
XTR 950 series v-brake levers and brakes
black King hubs, Mavic 217 Sunset rims, IRC 2.25 tires
XTR 950 series 8 speed cassette and RD
XT 730 series FD
Cook Bros RSR cranks with Suntour PowerRings
Ritchey seatpost
red Turbo
DKG collar
Ringle Ti Stix
......pedals will likely be XC Pro or the older gen XC Compe's

tvcreative

Which is before and which is after?

This is the issue I am having with my Monster build

I like the original Suntour build out - but am tempted to throw on exotic sh@t I have laying around like Cooks bros cranks, king headset, syncros seatpost, xtr stuff.

does this defeat the concept of the bike being an affordable alternative?

When I got the frame i thought it would be cool to run V brakes on it based on the wishbone stay and no cable hangers, perhaps 1996-97 era XTR 9 speed?

thoughts anyone?

theredchili

I like the original Suntour build out - but am tempted to throw on exotic sh@t I have laying around like Cooks bros cranks, king headset, syncros seatpost, xtr stuff.

When I got the frame i thought it would be cool to run V brakes on it based on the wishbone stay and no cable hangers, perhaps 1996-97 era XTR 9 speed?

thoughts anyone?

Your asking the wrong person here :D

I say keep it simply , the colour will give it the wow factor , save the bling for a Yo

yo-Nate-y

Staff member

[.....] does this defeat the concept of the bike being an affordable alternative?

When I got the frame i thought it would be cool to run V brakes on it based on the wishbone stay and no cable hangers [...]

Before is the stock build with XC LTD, after is the retro-modern-ish mix. Some Monsters, like my last one with XC Pro and the Mombat '91 with XT, got nicer parts from the get-go. I wouldn't worry about going up the gruppo food chain. Might be more of a sticking point on a Buck Shaver ;)

Totally--the lack of a rear hanger and the huge head tube were part of my encouragement for going v-brakes on this build. I like the grey/pink combo too. Less of a museum-piece and more of an "evolved over the 90s" kind of build (tho the Thomson stem was 2000).

smittylube

thoughts anyone?

I say pimp it out and ride it. The top end stuff rides best IMO. lighter, lasts longer.
I took off my thumbies and went from 6 to 8 speed it was fantastic. Now I went to SS. whatever you do put on what you will enjoy to ride ( & look at). IMO

tvcreative

Yo nate

I think i am on the same path as you then...

I will go xtr v brake etc

after all the paint on mine is not stock and won't be original anyway

thanks to all

colker

I love this bike. The red saddle on the magenta frame. Rody's super nice fork. NItto seatpost. Ringle QRs. Then you have the usually dull, uninspiring m950 but on this color combo it looks brilliant. Ah.. forgot about the cool, different neo retro surly bar.
It's a benchmark Fat IMO. Just when i was tired from all the aquafade Yo's comes this one.. well done.

Zamfir

Beautiful bike. Forks really work and the color is great, looks fast.

Personally I would have gone with cantilevers but that's just me, not a fan of v-brakes.

Awesome build!

chefmiguel

You are a magnet for those in great condition! Definitely looks like it would be a better fit than the previous size. How's the left coast treating you?