Yet another decal thread

Spikes

I ordered a set of decals at the end of december 2005 and haven't heard from Wendyll since. Does anybody know if she is still around? It seems odd and not according to her normal friendly responses to not reply. The most annoying bit is the fact that there is a nice, freshly resprayed, Yo Betty lying around together with a bucket of lovely trickbits waiting to be assembled......

burnzy

Decal source

I have a '92 Monster refinished 2 years ago by Lloyd Graves and gang at IF. They did a beautiful job. Lloyd referred me to a guy in NC who made decals for Fat City. I don't know if he is still in business. He would not sell to me directly but I called and he confirmed they were still available(he had others as well). Then Lloyd called him and got decals for the entire bike for $30.00.
Here's info; Screen Specialities
336 982 4135
Ask for gary
Hope it works out.
Burnzy

stevek

I'm in the same position, gotta resprayed Wicked and a bench piled up with kit ready to bolt on. Can't put it together 'til the decals are on followed by the lacquer. :(

I was in touch with Wendyll last year and she said that she'd post the decals on the 8th December. The money has long been sent but alas, no decals! Not one response to my weekly emails either, wonder if she's ok? Heard she was in hospital last year...

If anybody knows of others who will sell Fat Chance decals to the public please drop me a line.

Thanks
Steve

yo' djblu

OKAY.. as a buyer of decals from Wendyll I have 3 sets. I do have to tell u that these sets are QUITE old or seem old. I have tired to get a set on my frame and had to lift each letter off with an exacto blade and painstakingly place them on the frame by hand one at a time. Not lots of fun.. I gave up after a while and just went out and got some oneshot lettering enamel, great for lettering on cars and vans blah blah blah. Better colours too boot. So I would suggest going with another source or having someone hand letter the bitch on. Here is my example :) On to the next phase of the build!

Attachments

• closeup.jpg
    closeup.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 60
  • sideview.jpg
    sideview.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 89

fat-tony

Staff member
yo' djblu said:
OKAY.. as a buyer of decals from Wendyll I have 3 sets. I do have to tell u that these sets are QUITE old or seem old. I have tired to get a set on my frame and had to lift each letter off with an exacto blade and painstakingly place them on the frame by hand one at a time. Not lots of fun.. I gave up after a while and just went out and got some oneshot lettering enamel, great for lettering on cars and vans blah blah blah. Better colours too boot. So I would suggest going with another source or having someone hand letter the bitch on. Here is my example :) On to the next phase of the build!

What type grips are those? Oakley? Your build looks awesome!

yo' djblu

they are ouray grips. Found them on ebay a while back. I have a coda blue nuke proof stem i am adding SOON got to get a new front wheel and a new water bottle cage. JUST missed a killer seat on ebay that was green and blue matched perfectly, should have bid higher. want race face cranks in green i think maybe blue or yeallow. new seat post. i could go on but thanks for the kind words. Got here right here on fatcogs.

mainlyfats

Me too

stevek said:
I was in touch with Wendyll last year and she said that she'd post the decals on the 8th December. The money has long been sent but alas, no decals! Not one response to my weekly emails either, wonder if she's ok? Heard she was in hospital last year...

I hope everything is OK because I too sent in money at the beginning of December and have nothing yet. Three months for decals - without a word - is a little weird though, no?

DaveH

Other source for decals

Is there any other source for decals? I to received the same response from Wendyll with a instant reply on where to send the cash but I dont want to wait a unknown amount of time to receive them. As someone mentioned they bought them threw IF? I got in touch with them and they want nothing to do with it. I need to get er done for the summer! Any ideas?

DaveH
033Y1M

fatf**knchance

the guy in north carolina will not sell to anyone except a paint shop or possibly a bike shop. i think there is liability issues or something. he also originally produced them.

Spikes

I'm giving up on Wendyll: something must be wrong. Does anyone have default decals in a digital version? I'll get them printed at some local guy. "Fat Chance" on the down tube and "Fat" on the head tube will do the trick. I'll skip Chris' signature and the little flag near the BB. I'm looking for silver decals with a black border, to go on a cherry red Buck Shaver. I really must get it finished april tops.

Doug Carter

Staff member
I'm just wondering, if there was a solution to reproduction FAT decals, would Cogs want the original water slide/clear coat style that aren't very durable, or would you prefer an actual mylar printed decal that might not be restoration accurate, but would be more durable, and certainly easier to apply?

rody

If it gets to the point of supplying our own decals, I have a few sources that would be willing to produce them. Will wait until the group reaches a concensus though.

cheers,

rody
Groovy Cycleworks

henk19

I am in

I cannot tell you how long ago i ordered my decals from Wendyll, anyway i never received them or any reply to my many messages.
So I am in for some other way to get good decals, I really need them.

mainlyfats

I'm at that point

rody said:
If it gets to the point of supplying our own decals, I have a few sources that would be willing to produce them. Will wait until the group reaches a concensus though.

I've missed two refinishing windows now and if I miss a third I think the painter is just going to tell me to forget about it.

The Fat decals I'm not so worried about - I know they could probably be found somewhere - what Wendyll promised to supply me with was a full set of Chris Chance decals for my road bike. Those are going to be a bitch.

I'm in. Rody, what can you do?

laffeux, spikes have you ever needed to source Chris Chance decals?

Spikes

@Mainlyfats: I never needed Chris Chance Road decals, but would like a set just in case. Lat time I got a message from the Fat City Ranch was december 2005: that's where the trail ends.....

Bssc

For the Chris decals give this guys a ring Cycle Art, Brian Baylis, Hot tubes, JP Weigle, and Ted Wojcik. Brian, JP, and Ted will be tuff to get in touch with Brian site has disappeared, JP does not have a site and last I talked with Ted he wanted to sell the business.

Bssc

Here is the picture of the decals I have left in my collection.

I never realized how many stickers/ decals I had from back in the day too bad my tool box is full.

Attachments

• sommervill decals.jpg
    sommervill decals.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 48

MikeyNYC

RE: Yet another decal thread...

Doug Carter said:
I'm just wondering, if there was a solution to reproduction FAT decals, would Cogs want the original water slide/clear coat style that aren't very durable, or would you prefer an actual mylar printed decal that might not be restoration accurate, but would be more durable, and certainly easier to apply?

Doug,

I recently spoke with a guy @ The Color Factory (1-800-62-gleam), and their painting prices seem pretty good-I may have him spray my Wicked Fat Chance frame/fork in White, and as far as decals he said that he could probably have some made but is not sure of the cost or availability, but the interesting thing that he did say is that he prefers to use the thicker "die-cut type vinyl decals" that peel and stick on, to clear coat over because the thinner "water slide decals" like the ones that you would've gotten direct from Fat City (or from Wendyll) are actually not so easy to clear coat over from the painter's perspective, since they are very thin and delicate and sometimes they will actually disintegrate when they spray the clear coat on and then they wind up having to redo the whole paint job because the decals are all smudged!

I personally would want the clear mylar printed decals since you can just slap them onto a frame, unless of course I was repainting a frame I would need the other type to clear coat over the decals... :)

Michael NYC