'90 Wicked Winter Project

Needed another project like a hole in the head, but couldn't pass this one up...

Not sure how many of you guys pop in to the MTBR VRC forum, but figured I might get some good suggestions and feedback over here:

Link to the MTBR thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=482370

It's a mess right now, but since I'm planning on doing a lot more riding than polishing, it shouldn't be too long of resto.

Looking forward to my first "Fat" ride,

Steve

DC

Wow, 2nd life for a wicked Wicked. Definately get the bottom bracket out! A ball joint seperator will work on the stuck crank arm if all else fails. Clean out that seat tube and frame saver the piss out of it(or linseed oil). You can get new collars for the BB from Rody @ Groovy Cycles. I'd say get the BB out and sand blast it and have it repainted, or at least rattle can the whole thing if it is just going to be a beater. and yes that looks like a stock DKG seatclamp.
Have fun!

bonsaii

Please keep this on in original state! Clean it and keep old school set-up!

And happy year!

bons

Butcher

Steve, I checked out your new ride from the link.

It looks like the old Wicked found the right owner to get it back on track. You're definitely getting good advice to ditch the bars. Light weight aluminium bars should always be replaced after a few seasons of hard riding since they will break (fatigue properties of aluminum) and there is no way to tell when. You also got good advice on cleaning out the seat tube and treating it with frame saver.

Those tear drop tabs on the back of the fork were the result of testing done by Chris, that area was prone to fail and those tabs give that critical area extra strength. Just an example of the attention to detail that seperates a Fat Chance from the herd. You could also check the diameter of fork blades with a caliper and see if you have a Big One Inch or a Yo Eddy Fork. The BOI will have 1" blades and the Yo Eddy fork will have 1 1/8" blades.

Post it in readers rides when you get it done.

Steve, I checked out your new ride from the link.
You could also check the diameter of fork blades with a caliper and see if you have a Big One Inch or a Yo Eddy Fork. The BOI will have 1" blades and the Yo Eddy fork will have 1 1/8" blades.

Butcher,

Thanks for the input. I checked the fork legs...1 1/8"...Yo baby.

I know you'll think I'm nuts, but I really want to try the Hyperlites out since I wanted a set bad way back when and couldn't afford them. (I'll make sure my health insurance is up to date first though, lol).

I'll definitely post progress shots as the project comes together.

Thanks again,

Steve

Progress has been slow, but the parts pile is getting bigger...

wickedparts1.JPG

Looking forward getting this one back together and dirty again.

Steve

XTR Cantis not period correct

;)

but they were on the bike when I got it...who am I to mess with history...besides I can't afford another brakeset for this project (I'm already in dangerous $ territory with it if my wife finds out, lol).

Frame shot, bare:

wickedframebare1.JPG

Touch up is a lot less noticable in regular lighting, and yes, that's the remnant of the original "flag" on the bottom of the seat tube...couldn't bring myself to scratch that on off. Still needs to be buffed and waxed, but should make a fine rider.

Steve

getting nearer to the end of my Fat rainbow...

wickedclosernow1.JPG

a few bits, some tires, and a few hours and we'll be ready for the trails...can't wait.

Steve

Butcher

Congratulations, that's a nice build. It looks like you put your heart into it, those always turn out the best.

DC

Wow! Amazing job on the rebuild, you must of went through a gallon of touch up paint. I can hardly believe that is the same bike from the mtbr thread! The Hyperlite still has me scared if she is to be ridden much.
Nice work and nice collection in the background!
-DC