Just wondering... need some input.

Doug Carter

Staff member
I know that there are a LOT of websites devoted to retro MTBs out there; most of them like this one, devoted to one brand. Retrobike is a cool site, but it is UK-oriented (no offense to you guys), and the classifieds and events schedules are depressing for us yanks to look at.
biggrin.gif
I'm interested in bikes other than Fats (not that many), like most of you.

I've had www.oldschoolmtb.com sitting and waiting for a while. I actually had a forum running there for a bit, too. Would there be ANY interest in a US-based site for this? I know there is a good following in the MTBR forums, though no classifieds, and a few other smaller clique sites out there devoted to it. I'm not sure something else is needed, but I do see a small void. It would essentially be a forum, with classifieds, a user-managed gallery and maybe a few other iittle things.

It's just sitting there now. I donno if it's something that needs to be done or not. What do you guys think?

lucifer

I would love to see it happen as the advertisements overhead and slowness of mtbr can be annoying at times. And their lack of a free marketplace is annoying too.

I say go for it. If it has a forum and classifieds I'll be there in a flash.

All the way! The chaps in England get to have their retro meets and all that fun! Why shouldn't we? I would support it and tell all my buddies.

Fatty

Doug Carter

Staff member
I'd like to see some retro meets, too. I got excited seeing those photos that Scant and the guys have from their meets in the UK. We need to do something like that here; maybe one on the east coast, one on the left coast and one in the midwest somewhere.

We're an odd group

John

Administrator
Staff member
The more retro stuff on the web, the better.

For what it's worth when I set up retrobike I didn't particularly aim it at the UK audience - that's just how things have turned out. All are welcome
biggrin.gif

Perhaps having the .co.uk domain name (it was cheap) puts people off ?

Interestingly enough my reasoning for setting up the site was similar to yours - I liked the content on mtbr vrc but preferred the style of fatcogs et al.

Doug Carter

Staff member
I think the UK retro group has been a bit more organized so far (I could be wrong). I know there have been a few meets over here, though I don't know if I have seen a lot of real structure in the community. I really want to see it be a sister site to Retrobike, maybe to cross promote, as well.

I have some ideas in mind, but if anyone would like to contribute, feel free to drop me a note. I can also be reached usually on AIM at: upon3.

doug

Yo Eddy!

What I think would be Cool is a site with dedicated sections on:
- eighties
- svelte
- sturdy
- Canadian
- Japanese
- races
- heroes

Doug Carter

Staff member
I like some of Melvin's category suggestions, but to keep it from getting to thin to start out, I'm open to suggestions on how the forum structure should start.

I'm probably going to pattern the forums much like the RetroBike layout, and we'll go from there.

Anyone want to see anything else, like Melvin suggested?

cool.gif

rody

Doug,

Right on! Love to see more retro content that is not full of bitching, moaning, and rules like another well known board (read MTBR dot com) ;)

I frequent John's board over at www.retrobike.co.uk frequently just because the atmosphere is laidback, accomodating, and full of retro goodness.

A couple sections I'd like to see are...

Builders - maybe a couple areas to profile the guys who made the frames we love

Restoration Tips and Tricks - as many of us have constant projects in the works there is no need to reinvent the wheel, share the knowledge!

Major Mods - A subculture that has been fun to watch is the natural evolution that started our sport...modifying the old cruisers to mountain duty. Always fun to follow projects and see the result of old Schwinns turned to dirt duty. Not typical vintage mtb but fun to see in the spirit that invented our sport.

Looking forward to the new playground! :D

Cheers,

rody