About to get medieval on this bottom bracket

Jeeves

Hi all,

I've been gingerly poking around my spindle of what I expect is a somewhat rusty Wicked press-fit BB. I can't get the spindle to budge with normal effort (which involved some soft headed hammer taps, and wood blocks and a vise).

So, I've spent a day dripping oil down the spindle in hopes that it'll penetrate, and tonight I'm going to give it some hearty effin' whacks with the steel side of a Park tools hammer and hope not to peen the end of the spindle.

Anyone care to talk me down from this course of action?:skull::skull::skull: Anything I should try first? Apply heat?

Many thanks,
-Raj

Retro Dude

Sounds like you're taking the right approach.

What I've done before is to drill a .75" diameter hole in a 1 foot section of 4x4 and lay the bottom bracket over the block with the spindle in the hole. Place a piece of 2x4 on the spindle and hit it.

This places all the force of the hammer blow through the spindle to separate it from the bearing, you may destroy the bearing but it sounds like you need new ones anyway.

Post some pics & let us know how it goes.

Jeeves

Excellent! Will do - thanks! Also, I have a little bonus that I want to post for all press-fit bottom bracketeers...more tonight.

best,
-Raj

Jeeves

OK, here's an update on this. Lots of rustiness in the bottom bracket.

Was able to remove the spindle with a hammer and the jig you see in the background in the first pic. (thanks for the advice). :)

The spindle was actually a little rusty, so it was a lot tighter than it should have been. There was some ungodly whanging happening down there (me wincing at each hammer blow) but it came free.

NOW I am in need of more help, though. Those bearings are right well seized in there. I've applied a little heat (not much) and have gone so far as to accidentally drive a screwdriver THROUGH one of the bearings, but they have not budged yet. Additional strategies on extraction of bearings appreciated...I assume they were locktited in?

Thanks!
0Raj

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 39

Jeeves

Righto:):)! I need to figure out a way to stabilize the bike better. Right now it sounds like Notre Dame in my basement with all of the clanging.

tvcreative

get a flat punch about 1/2 across, and a 10 pound sledge, the weight of the baby sledge with the punch will take it out…

tvcreative

5 - 10 whatever it takes….i knew a baby sledge would work…wasn't overly sure of the actual weight. Glad that you can move on without doing real damage to the frame

Jeeves

:) Worked like a charm - here's a pic.
Frame's not going to win any beauty contests. I plan to remove the rust, touch it up, and then go do dirty and nasty things to her.

Attachments

• 11102857_10152648824931673_8873609929160066944_n.jpg
    11102857_10152648824931673_8873609929160066944_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 59

fat-tony

Staff member
Looking at your bottom bracket reminded me of an eBay exchange I had with a seller (not you, Jeeves ) several years ago. I asked if there was any rust down the seat tube or in the bottom bracket and he went off on me stating that "I don't even deserve to bid on a FAT because I wasn't familiar with the craftsmanship and the brand. That all tubes are sealed so there was no way rust would develop". I politely walked away from bidding thinking what a complete douche-bag the seller was.

I am sure you will ride the hell out of that frame and rightly so!