To powder coat, or not to powder coat...

fat-tony

Staff member
I am considering getting my frame powder coated. What are the pros and cons, because I don't know much about this process? I know that it is not original to Fat City and that kind of bothers me a little, although I can't image that they would not be dabbling into this by now if they were still alive and kicking. Comments please.........

How would one handle the decal situation because they would not be able to withstand 400 degree baking, would they? Would you color coat the bike, then apply decals, then clear coat? Is it even done this way when you powder coat something?

Thanks

scant

I've had another (non FAT.. the shame!) frame powdercoated & decals stick to it just fine. you could clear laquer over the top later if required. FAT is kinda famous for cool sprays & fades, which are way more difficult & costly with powder than with paint. if you want a cheap.1 stock colour option (white is nice!) then powders a safe option... tho I have no idea how well original FAT decals will stick to powder :)

Doug Carter

Staff member
Poweder coating was being done a LONG time ago by bike companies, in fact, I remember VooDoo had powder coated their bikes in the early 90s. They were not very attractive.

A good powder coater can lay down a finish that is almost identical to a painted finish, even flames and fluorescents. The only downside that I have ever found is that the finish is almost impossible to remove should you ever decide you want another finish. Colors can also be fairly limited to what you can match off of a chip book, too.

Personally, I'd want a good painited ad clearcoated finish, but I'm kinda grouchy like that.
biggrin.gif

jo eddy

Powder

My Fats are all coated ! There is more resistance to stones from wheels,and the todays quality of the powder is so good that you see no difference to wet paintings !!
Olli

fat-tony

Staff member
powdercoat process

jo eddy said:
My Fats are all coated ! There is more resistance to stones from wheels,and the todays quality of the powder is so good that you see no difference to wet paintings !!
Olli

Jo Eddy; What was your process? Did you have the frame powdercoated, then apply stock decals, then clear coat or did you do something different?

Last edited:

jo eddy

Coatings

At first powder than original decals from Wendyll and after that a clear paint safe over it,finish. I