Ti Fat - What to do?

Jeeves

My first was a Wicked that I bought when I was about 17 years old, and rode all the way through the end of my graduate studies in 1994. After I got my first real job, I thought I deserved a new ride, so I bought a TI. It's a sweet bike, don't get me wrong, but I was never as confident on it as I was with my Wicked.

Now that I'm older. . . a lot older...I think I realize one of the problems I've been having with my TI. It's leaning me over too much. The seatpost is up high, and the handlebars are waaay down low. I notice that the back of my neck hurts when I ride that bike now.

I've tried a couple of solutions - a shorter stem, AND also Jones bars, which bring the cockpit further back. It's not there yet, and I think I'll have to go with height more than rearward adjustment. That means, probably, a new fork (rigid) with a longer steer tube for a little more stack height, a stem with a little more rise to it, and a riser bar. :mad:

Does this solution make sense? I feel like I'm still taking a chance, since it still may not do it for me and I'll have wasted money on more components. Any suggestions on parts, or on how to do this smartly without a lot of guesswork? Anything I should think of?

I figure an Iglehart or a fork from Rody so that we're good with the a/c height and the steerer tube diameter. I'll need a shim for a modern stem as well. What's the max reasonable height on a HT stack before it starts to look / act goofy?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'd hate to have to sell this thing because I don't ride it that much. . .

Thanks!
-Raj

colker

My first was a Wicked that I bought when I was about 17 years old, and rode all the way through the end of my graduate studies in 1994. After I got my first real job, I thought I deserved a new ride, so I bought a TI. It's a sweet bike, don't get me wrong, but I was never as confident on it as I was with my Wicked.

Now that I'm older. . . a lot older...I think I realize one of the problems I've been having with my TI. It's leaning me over too much. The seatpost is up high, and the handlebars are waaay down low. I notice that the back of my neck hurts when I ride that bike now.

I've tried a couple of solutions - a shorter stem, AND also Jones bars, which bring the cockpit further back. It's not there yet, and I think I'll have to go with height more than rearward adjustment. That means, probably, a new fork (rigid) with a longer steer tube for a little more stack height, a stem with a little more rise to it, and a riser bar. :mad:

Does this solution make sense? I feel like I'm still taking a chance, since it still may not do it for me and I'll have wasted money on more components. Any suggestions on parts, or on how to do this smartly without a lot of guesswork? Anything I should think of?

I figure an Iglehart or a fork from Rody so that we're good with the a/c height and the steerer tube diameter. I'll need a shim for a modern stem as well. What's the max reasonable height on a HT stack before it starts to look / act goofy?

Thanks in advance for all of your help. I'd hate to have to sell this thing because I don't ride it that much. . .

Thanks!
-Raj

try a stem w/ 15

settemarche

Raj,

this does not sound like a problem that is going to go away!

the best solution is to just sell me the Ti very cheap ;-)

Sette

rody

Raj,

Welcome to old age ;)

Though I love my old bikes, fit and performance have evolved beyond the classic NORBA race position to a fit that is more ergonomically correct, less stressful, and where comfort is more easily achieved. I've not ridden my classic bikes for more than shop errands since finally building myself a properly fitted bike that takes advantages of the variety of wheel sizes, long travel front end geometry, and a more upright ergonomic position that allows for a more open torso for easier breathing and control.

You can get your classic Ti to fit, and you are following the right track with some of your thinking. What I would suggest is having a trusted shop work up some fit numbers for you based off of your body measurements, much like sizing a custom frame, and then see what adjustments it would take to fit your Fat to your optimum position. More than likely, a custom stem and a little saddle adjustment would get you fairly close, increasing the probability of comfort and control for future enjoyment of your classic frame.

cheers,

rody

Jeeves

Heh! I knew that this thread might bring out the Fat Predators! :) I'm at about 50 / 50 keep/sell at this point, so I will let you all know here first if I go the sell route for sure. I would want to get a pretty good price, or a trade for a bike that my old ass can handle...like a Yeti 575 or a Moots Cinco (partial trade / cash deal).

Barring spectacular offers I can't refuse, I think I'll take some of your great advice above (thanks for all of your thoughts) and try to see about making this thing work for me.

-Raj