[WTB] Pretty much anything in the 18" range...

Doug Carter

Staff member
Yeah, for now I'm giving the guy the benefit of the doubt. I could see how it would be missed by him (but not by the bike shop who took it apart to ship). I sent him an e-mail right after I opened the box yesterday, but I haven't heard back from him yet (surprisingly).

Rody has already said that repairs will be doable, so I'm not too wound up over it. At least I'll have something else to ride this summer while this thing gets repaired. :D

Doug Carter

Staff member
Update

6-12" of snow today in Chicago, and everything arrived. Wet, but it's all here finally. The '85 is a rattle can brown, and really pretty clean. it will actually make for a really great base for a cool bike. It's even got top BB cable guides. Looks like it was a black frame originally, too. Great condition, all things considered. I guess I'll keep it and build it up again as a SS, but it will be packaged up to send to Rody for new clothes. Someday. lol.

The other bike he sent is a mid 80s Schwinn High Sierra, in a funky black chrome. It has all of the parts on it that were supposed to be on the Fat, right down to the pedals. It's a beater and an all-weather bike, with the exception of the Brooks, so I think this one will get ridden and beaten into the ground. It needs a new headset, as this one feels indexed. :skull: Maybe a nice set of drop bars, too. :D

So I went from 0 to 3 bikes without really even putting in much effort. At least I have something to ride and beat on while I get to work on these Fats

Yo Eddy!

So much better news :cool:

Doug, fitting loose balls will often cure the indexed feel of a headset. Btw always fit loose balls(fill it, than take one out) ...and use proper grease of course.

Doug Carter

Staff member
The current chrome headset is rusted and corroded. It isn't a big deal to replace it with a $12 Deore DX. :D

So the seller of the Eddy is being a bit difficult on the issue of the undisclosed rust. He isn't prepared to even cover 1/4 of the labor to replace the seat tube. I'm getting pretty irritated with him and his slow responses, and I'm ready to file a claim with PayPal. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Eddy. :(

jh4rt

The current chrome headset is rusted and corroded. It isn't a big deal to replace it with a $12 Deore DX. :D

So the seller of the Eddy is being a bit difficult on the issue of the undisclosed rust. He isn't prepared to even cover 1/4 of the labor to replace the seat tube. I'm getting pretty irritated with him and his slow responses, and I'm ready to file a claim with PayPal. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Eddy. :(

Doug,

there are too many nice bikes out there to mess with stuff like that. I didn't follow the auction, but my advice would be this:

A really excellent Yo frame of that vintage could bring upwards of $800 to the right buyer. I sold a 99 frame w/ Thompson seat-post for $650. So, take into account what you ended up paying. If you can get Rody to fix it and still be in the $600-$700 range, you are probably about right. If not, then I would file a claim and see how it works out. Paypal almost always favors the buyer, I'm told.

Hope this helps.

-j

rody

So Doug...what was the outcome of your coorespondance, did the seller "man up" and take care of you or has it been a sour experience?

cheers,

rody

Doug Carter

Staff member
Sour, until yesterday at about 10am.

I wasn't getting anywhere with the seller, who gave me an ultimatum of either, A) a $50 refund, or B) send it all back on my dollar. With a $90 shipping bill, neither option was acceptable. He got difficult, so I filed a PayPal dispute to let a 3rd party arbitrate.

Then, as we agreed to have everything returned to him and split the shipping back to boofu, I got the strangest e-mail from eBay/PayPal that offered me a "Customer Courtesy Coupon." Ever heard of that? Me neither. I actually called eBay right after I got it to make sure it wasn't a scam or an eBay spoof. It wasn't.

They gave me a coupon for $500 on eBay, expiring at the end of June! :redface: :redface: :cool:

Ten minutes later, I got my refund from the seller in full, plus $45 to cover the return shipping. :redface: :redface: :redface:

It was a crazy eBay morning yesterday, so I'm back to having the one Fat, as my long-sought Yo Eddy heads back to the frozen tundra of Alaska. But I DO now have a little more to spend on the right bike when I find it. :D

d

fat-tony

Staff member
Sour, until yesterday at about 10am.

I wasn't getting anywhere with the seller, who gave me an ultimatum of either, A) a $50 refund, or B) send it all back on my dollar. With a $90 shipping bill, neither option was acceptable. He got difficult, so I filed a PayPal dispute to let a 3rd party arbitrate.

Then, as we agreed to have everything returned to him and split the shipping back to boofu, I got the strangest e-mail from eBay/PayPal that offered me a "Customer Courtesy Coupon." Ever heard of that? Me neither. I actually called eBay right after I got it to make sure it wasn't a scam or an eBay spoof. It wasn't.

They gave me a coupon for $500 on eBay, expiring at the end of June! :redface: :redface: :cool:

Ten minutes later, I got my refund from the seller in full, plus $45 to cover the return shipping. :redface: :redface: :redface:

It was a crazy eBay morning yesterday, so I'm back to having the one Fat, as my long-sought Yo Eddy heads back to the frozen tundra of Alaska. But I DO now have a little more to spend on the right bike when I find it. :D

d

I know you have been through a lot, but this un-freaking-believable!
(I can hear the snaps and clicks as everyone prepares to puts their Yo's up on ebay before the end of June) :)

billyb

Thats cool!!! There have been a few Yo's up, you should definitely find one by June. Probably a blessing in disguise:D Good Luck Doug

Doug Carter

Staff member
Thanks guys, but as I have found over the last few years, a M/L from '91 through '94 has been the proverbial needle in a haystack. I donno why, but it's been a difficult find. I don't want a Serotta-built bike, and I want a Yo Eddy. I loved my 18" Wicked Lite, but it just wasn't the same.

I'm intrigued about the Team Violet Eddy and Shocka in the Classifieds now, but they are both Mediums. I know the size difference is minimal, so I might jump on one of those if they become available.

d

fat-tony

Staff member
Thanks guys, but as I have found over the last few years, a M/L from '91 through '94 has been the proverbial needle in a haystack. I donno why, but it's been a difficult find. I don't want a Serotta-built bike, and I want a Yo Eddy. I loved my 18" Wicked Lite, but it just wasn't the same.

I'm intrigued about the Team Violet Eddy and Shocka in the Classifieds now, but they are both Mediums. I know the size difference is minimal, so I might jump on one of those if they become available.

d

Doug; you got mail and a PM.