Help identifying this frame

WVEddy

I just picked up this frame while buying another bike. Guy knew it was a fat, but not much else. It has the markings from what looks like "Wicked Fat Chance" decal set that has been removed. The custom graphics paint is under the clear coat, so this is likely an original custom paint job. Serial number is 02498F. Any help on what year or frame this is would be appreciated. Also any suggestion on removing the bottom bracket?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 58

WVEddy

More pics

From the side, sorry could not get it to upload multiple pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 37

I-ROBOT

That is a 1988 Fat Chance with rear cantilever mounts (not a Wicked - would have a W at the end of the serial number)

To remove the pressed-in bottom bracket bearings:

Secure the frame in a suitable stand or frame vise

Loosen the allen-head set screws on one collar on one end of the spindle and gently tap the spindle until it slides out (WD-40 or equivalent helps here). Leave the other collar installed so you will have your dimension set when you go to reset the spindle. Remember which side you left the collar on

Insert a 3/8" drive ratchet extension (1-foot long preferred) through one of the spindle holes in one bearing and angle it so the end of the extension is up against the inside of the opposite bearing. Strike the extension with a suitable hammer to knock out the bearing (go easy) tap all around the bearing to get it started - you don't want to risk ovalizing the BB shell.

Once the bearing is out, you can tap the other bearing out in the same manner.

Clean out the inside of the BB shell, check for severe rusting and repair if needed.

Coat the inside of the BB shell with a suitable rust preventer but make sure the areas where the bearings contact the shell are perfectly clean and dry.

To install:
If you are re-using the old bearings, make sure they are clean.
Run a small bead of Loctite Red around the outside of each bearing shell
Place each bearing into the shell by hand and line each one up as close to concentric as you can.
Once each bearing is in place, slide a bolt through the bearing spindle holes that is lone enough to engage both bearings. Use soft washers on each end to prevent damage to the outside of the bearings. Install a nut on the other end and use two wrenches to slowly tighten the nut and bolt. You will see the bearings being pressed in to the shell. Tighten slowly enough to make sure both bearings are properly engaged in the shell. Continue to tighten until the lock rings on the outside of the bearing shells contact the bottom bracket shell.
Reinstall the spindle from the side that you removed it with the collar still on.
Install the collar on the other side and tighten the set screws.
Let the Loctite set up per the manufacturer's instructions.

Install your crank arms, set your chain and ride accordingly!

I know we had instructions for the bottom bracket bearings (and use to sell an installation tool) and those instructions are probably on this website somewhere if you care to look for them. (Google may help too)

Good Luck
Scott

WVEddy

Thanks Scott. I did not think it was a Wicked. Both the serial # and the rear brake cable hanger all looked wrong. Do think that is a factory paint job or a respray. The paint job has been on there for a while. Guy told me he found in the back of a bike shop while cleaning it out.

WVEddy

As a side note, the frame has bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube. Never seen that before.

I-ROBOT

As a side note, the frame has bottle cage mount on the bottom of the down tube. Never seen that before.

Some folks did that for touring. I added an extra set to my "87 Wicked when it was time for an update.

Not likely that is factory paint. Somebody may have applied that over the original black epoxy powder coat though. Cool looking though, I like it

Your pics are small and its tough to see all the detail

Scott

I-ROBOT

After looking at your pics again, that is not the original bottom bracket. I know some folks made a threaded BB that could be retro-fitted to a press-in shell but I'm not sure who made the one that's in your frame. My guess is White Bro's or Phil Wood but really have no accurate answer

Scott