FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old July 10th, 2010, 12:42 AM   #1
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Default Off topic: Bike shops in SF or LA

I'm in San Francisco on vacation until Sunday and traveling down the coast on HW1 to LA where I'll stay until Friday 16th.

Do any of you have any good recommendations on bike shops along my way?

Thanks
Jon
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
jbrannsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #2
rthomer

Default Bike Shops

If you have time to go across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Fran to Marin, there's quite a few great bike shops. More than I've listed.
This is where mountain biking began (allegedly). It's prettier too (IMHO). Road biking is huge there as well.
And easier parking. I don't live there but visit family often.

http://www.studiovelomv.com/
http://www.sunshinebicycle.com/new/
http://www.bicycleodyssey.com/

In LA area, where I reside, here's a few :

http://www.bicyclejohns.com/index.html
http://helenscycles.com/ (Santa Monica)
rthomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 7:50 PM   #3
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Cool, thanks... I see the ones across the bridge is open on Sundays so I'll probably have time to visit them tomorrow then. Too bad I didn't ask the question earlier, I was in Santa Monica two weeks ago, but I'm going down there mid next week. My wife and I have been on the round trip LA-Grand Canyon-Vegas-Death Valley-Yosemite-San Francisco-LA.
'91 M Yo | '91 S Monster | '93 S/M Yo | '93 Buck Shaver | '94 M Ti | '94 S/M Yo, rust in seat tube. Saved by C. igleheart | '97 S/M Bro Eddy | '97 Klein Quantum Pro | '97 Klein Quantum Pro, Jade Chamelion |

Previous bikes:
'92 M Yo Team Violet, stolen in '95 never recovered | '92 M Yo, rust in seat and down tube, not possible to save | '93 Klein Attitude Moonrise, stolen in '95 never recovered | '98 Trek 9900 OCLV, sold
Old July 10th, 2010, 8:31 PM   #4
mainlyfats

You can't go to Marin without stopping by Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
rthomer

That's a great suggestion by Mainly Fats....If I recall about an hour up the coast from Golden Gate but worth the trip. Point Reyes beach area is one of my favorite places on the planet. And then there's Steve Potts. I suggest stay an extra day in Point Reyes, one less day in LA

BTW: That's a nice trip! Although Death Valley in the summer.....wow. Can you fit in Zion just north of the Grand Canyon??
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:19 PM   #6
rthomer

Here's the link to Black Mountain...

http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com/

Maybe do this one if open on Sunday's and skip the other's....cool shop, way nice area and drive,
too much fun.
Old July 11th, 2010, 1:27 AM   #7
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomer View Post
BTW: That's a nice trip! Although Death Valley in the summer.....wow. Can you fit in Zion just north of the Grand Canyon??
I have already done that part of the trip... we arrived in the US on June 25 leaving home on the 16th of July (arriving the 17th). Did one day at the south rim and a day at the north rim before we drove to Vegas. We pretty much drove through Death Valley (stopped at Dantes point) and had a night at Mono Lake before driving through Tioga pass. Vegas and Death Valley was extremely warm, SF was almost disappointing cold. I've been there severeal times before but in Sep and Oct which was way warmer.... SF in July is colder than a Norwegian summer

Thanks for the great tips on which shops to visit!

Previous bikes:
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:53 AM   #8
jonsonneborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrannsten View Post
I'm in San Francisco on vacation until Sunday and traveling down the coast on HW1 to LA where I'll stay until Friday 16th.

Do any of you have any good recommendations on bike shops along my way?

Thanks
Jon
Sorry you missed Marin. It's always (almost) warmer in Marin (the birthplace of the Mountain Bike). Next time hit me up and we could go ride some single track!

Jon
Old July 15th, 2010, 2:19 PM   #9
jbrannsten
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsonneborn View Post
Sorry you missed Marin. It's always (almost) warmer in Marin (the birthplace of the Mountain Bike). Next time hit me up and we could go ride some single track!

Jon
I actually did make Marin and Sunshine Bicycle Center. Got myself new spd shoes, helmet, gloves plus some additional essentials. I was there on Sunday, before we started heading down the coast to Monterey. We did one more stop in Moro Bay before driving to LAX Wednesday morning for our flight home.

I was hoping to see more and also to go by Cambria bikes and their old shop to see if it has been repainted or not. Unfortunately we had to return a couple of days earlier and we had to skip some of our planned stops along the way.

New time I'll plan ahead and post dates on the forum so I can meet up with someone in here for a ride.

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions.

Jon

Previous bikes: