1995 Independent FAT

kingroon

I got this waiting for me at a mate's house in Lowell, MA.. One of the first IFs built, and technically every bit a FAT.. Serial # is IF 153 18 D :cool:

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 109
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 72

IF52

Team frame. Stonyfield Farm was a title sponsor. My friend Earl had one of those when he moved from riding for Fat's team over to IF's. I think Gretchen Reeves raced for IF at that time as well.

IF52

Definitely.

The earliest ones, like my old one, had Ritchey dropuots where the later early ones from 95/96 had Paragon. All the early ones had True Temper tubes, and the lore at the time was that they were built from tubes that were left behind when Fat moved to NY, though I suspect if there is any truth to that it is more likely that it was an order for tubes that Fat backed out of and young IF decided to purchase. The IF boys were really sensitive to comparisons to the Yo. I remember Elmo getting pretty worked up about it when some of us at the shop were making direct comparison. He made sure to point out the differences, like no domes stay ends and downtube cable routing.

Also I think, though I am not 100% sure that the early frames were straight gauge and not butted tubes.

colker

Definitely.

The earliest ones, like my old one, had Ritchey dropuots where the later early ones from 95/96 had Paragon. All the early ones had True Temper tubes, and the lore at the time was that they were built from tubes that were left behind when Fat moved to NY, though I suspect if there is any truth to that it is more likely that it was an order for tubes that Fat backed out of and young IF decided to purchase. The IF boys were really sensitive to comparisons to the Yo. I remember Elmo getting pretty worked up about it when some of us at the shop were making direct comparison. He made sure to point out the differences, like no domes stay ends and downtube cable routing.

Also I think, though I am not 100% sure that the early frames were straight gauge and not butted tubes.
geometry was the same wasn't it? I suppose handling and stiffness were the same.

kingroon

Cheers for the replies Amigos, and thanks for the provenance IF52 :cool:

After much thought, it's going to stay as is; not sure I wanna redo the paint.. Maybe some touching up to cover the bare metal, but it kinda deserves to be rebuilt and hammered :skull:

Found an article on IFRider.. http://www.ifrider.com/back-in-the-day/

AB

Customers could also order this paint scheme - a friend of mine has one and was not on the IF team.

IF52

Customers could also order this paint scheme - a friend of mine has one and was not on the IF team.

Yeah, I meant to say team paint, not team frame. Kind of like team violet was available to anybody who wanted it, and on any frame you wanted it on.

kingroon

Yeah, I meant to say team paint, not team frame. Kind of like team violet was available to anybody who wanted it, and on any frame you wanted it on.

It's a special frame either way :cool:

Got a Parts Bin stacked with Trickno' for this build.. Because of the Monotone paint [apart from the Udders :D ] I'm gunna hang some colour off of this Rig.. Got some Rasta PAULs kit, Red, Green & Black Ringle, Gold Chris King.. Looking for a nice set of Umma Gummas :skull:

Forks are an issue tho.. Finding some suspension corrected Yo/BOIs is near impossible.. Might have to go with Judy SLs :( but I'd like to find something a bit different..

kingroon

FYI Here is a '99 IF I built up last year..

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4023/4450744486_0ee198eafe_b_d.jpg

4450744486_0ee198eafe_z_d.jpg

4449974921_45e0d609a4_z_d.jpg

IF52

It's a special frame either way :cool:

Oh, heck yeah it is. I almost bought the one on IfRider a few years back, but something about the ebay auction made me have second thought. Really wish I had bought it now, would have fit my wife quite nicely. The frame size, not the cow theme.