Is it manly to cry?

Retro Dude

Not sure what happened...was just riding along, did a double shift (53-21 to 39-17), heard a double CRUNCH then the back wheel locked up. Looked down an FUUUUU.........!!!

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 153
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 116
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 108
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 110

Retro Dude

It's worse in person.

Stripped the frame down last night & contacted a local frame builder - waiting to see if he can bend back into place and align the hanger.

Scott B. - Any concerns with cold setting the 4130?

I-ROBOT

It's worse in person.

Stripped the frame down last night & contacted a local frame builder - waiting to see if he can bend back into place and align the hanger.

Scott B. - Any concerns with cold setting the 4130?

My guess is that you have a New York frame since the dropouts are different than what we used in Somerville. Actually most dropouts from Shimano, Suntour , etc were just forged carbon steel. Even if they are 4130, you can cold-straighten them. If you are going to re-paint, then you can heat it gently (GENTLY - enough to barely make a color change) and then the tool that screws into the derailleur mount and use that to bend the hanger back into place. I think Park and Campy both make nice derailleur hanger tools just for this purpose, since it happens all too often. If you are keeping the paint, use the tool and go nice and slow, a little at a time.

http://www.parktool.com/product/derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge-dag-2

If you're not brave enough to do it yourself, your local LBS should have the tool and the skill to bring it back into alignment

Good luck and keep us posted
Scott

Retro Dude

Dropped off at LBS today, they're going to cold set & align - should have back tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Yipes!

...time to go Shimano ;) (if only for ease of replacement)

Been thinking about switching over to Shimano but cost is holding me back. Need to look at what would be period correct, this is a '98 - would that be 7700/6500 8 speed?

mainlyfats

From doing this a few times at the service end of things, there will likely be some cracks in the paint. A neutral clearcoat/nail varnish will help before you put everything back together. But - as yonatey mentioned - do you have another derailleur in the wings?

Retro Dude

From doing this a few times at the service end of things, there will likely be some cracks in the paint. A neutral clearcoat/nail varnish will help before you put everything back together.

Good idea, it has plenty of battle scars so some clearcoat on the dropout and another coat of wax is in order.

But - as yonatey mentioned - do you have another derailleur in the wings?

I do have an old Suntour Sprint derailleur I could install - but the indexing is not great.

Anyone have an old Campy 8 speed derailleur available?

colker

rather than rebuilding the whle bike into shimano i would just eat the price tag of an 8sp rear Campy derrailleur.
Too bad that shop that had everything campy burned down. East Coast. What was the name? They had all kinds of spare parts.

Retro Dude

All better now

Back from the shop in great shape. Put some clear nail polish on the exposed areas, waiting for that to dry then will apply coat of wax.

Working a deal with my brother for an Ultegra 9 speed mini-group, stay tuned.

Attachments

• PA052939.JPG
    PA052939.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 56
  • PA052940.JPG
    PA052940.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 45

Retro Dude

Wow, maybe odd to say but those pics are such a relief.

Steel is real.....repairable.

Repair looks great!

Thanks, was a little nervous when I went to the shop to pick it up & told them I was picking up the purple road frame - the two guys looked at each other, I thought oh $hit. It was good though, wheel fits perfect & I'll check the derailleur hanger tonight.