Just picked up on Ebay

rthomer

I had to....just love the color. Been looking for a nice fresh one for a while.
Maybe paid a premium, but it's so cool. Can anyone help with the year?
The seller didn't seem to know, I think its a 94 or 95 since its a New York made Wicked.
Serial # ML 1960.
Thanks.
Can't wait to get it! :cool:

Attachments

• wicked lite.JPG
    wicked lite.JPG
    5.8 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:

DC

That's a sweet frame, I love the Chamelion Metillica paint.
I don't have a ton of Wicked knowledge, but the serial # seems odd compared to other Fats of the era.
Have you received the frame to check the number yourself?
I would think it would be more like WL L 960 (Model/Size/Production number) which is similar to my 95 Buck (BS M 110). '91 to '94 generally carry a number that goes: Production number/ Model/ Year/ Size eg (my '92 Yo) 734Y2S.
Any how, congratulations!!!

rthomer

Thanks DC,

You're right, there's something odd about the numbers. I first thought ML was medium/large, but then realized that Wicked's arent sized that way, they are sized in inches. Earlier Wicked's would have an 8 in the number if it was an 18" for example.
Based on the frame measurements he posted, its an 18 or 19. Probably a 19 since there's a 19 or 9 in the number?
Maybe its WL 19 60 ?
That would be closer to your BS numbering I think.
I don't have the frame yet, so can't be sure.
But in the meantime, I can consider build options......and taking suggestions BTW.
Thanks

Last edited:

DC

WL 19 60! I bet you nailed it, I forgot about them being sized in inches. So I wonder if the seller had problems reading upside down (M vs W) or if the serial # stamper at FCC held the punch upside down:confused: !

rthomer

I remember yours...surprised you traded it. That was really nice. I'm a sucker for that color, as it reminds me of the Schwinn I had in the late 60's.
I know I paid a bit too much, but when I consider the price of a respray on a project it's not so bad....then consider the price of handmade frames these days, it's really a good deal.
At least thats what I'm telling myself.
I'm just praying its a good fit.

Butcher

I don't think you over paid for it, it's cherry and a popular color too with the matching fork.

I recently picked up an XL 1998 Yo in that same color (silver & black stickers) and it looks better in person than in pictures. My 98' Yo was a complete bike and it's mostly black (Syncros) and silver (XTR) parts on it. Looks good but I think it needs a little color here and there...I've just not decided what would look best with it.

The silver and black parts look good, but perhaps some green Ano? What are your thoughts on your build?

rthomer

Thanks Butcher

Getting this makes rethink what I have. I'm likely going to get it rideable with what I've got to see how I like it.

I tore my Monster down recently to restore it, now may turn that into a single or 1x8. (Kind of like your Buck) and may use some of those parts for this.

One thought on the Wicked was to make it an all-arounder, with an option of fenders/racks.

So if thats the case I was thinking:

XTR shifter pods/ derailleurs
Cook cranks, silver (like the ones that just sold for a fortune on ebay) or XTR
Silver Thompson Seatpost
Gold Chris King head set
Avid Ultimate Levers
Paul's Cantis or V's or Avid Ultimate V's
Brooks Saddle
Mary bar with cork grips (until I can get one of Rody's Luv bars)
Custom Cromo stem from Steelman to match frame color or an ibis polished Ti stem (if I can find)
Wheels, maybe Kings in gold
Stainless or wood fenders

That's what I'm thinking for now, may change when I see it, which should be tonight. I like the green ano idea, if the color is close.

Thanks, Robert

colker

Thanks Butcher

Getting this makes rethink what I have. I'm likely going to get it rideable with what I've got to see how I like it.

I tore my Monster down recently to restore it, now may turn that into a single or 1x8. (Kind of like your Buck) and may use some of those parts for this.

One thought on the Wicked was to make it an all-arounder, with an option of fenders/racks.

Silver Thompson Seatpost
Gold Chris King head set
Avid Ultimate Levers
Brooks Saddle
Custom Cromo stem from Steelman to match frame color or an ibis polished Ti stem (if I can find)

That's what I'm thinking for now, may change when I see it, which should be tonight. I like the green ano idea, if the color is close.

Thanks, Robert

i would do it all silver and your build is expensive.. very expensive. plus you won't find a 26.4 thomson post.
i would chose suntour or syncros post.
salsa stem.
any ti bar, straight.
xtr dia compe or ritchey logic cantis.
ritchey logic levers.
xtr m900 cranks, hubs, cassette, derrailleurs(or xt).
xt thumbshifters.
saddle of your choice... but old. a turbo would be great.
good rims, good tires and lots of singletrack to roll this baby.

Butcher

Silver Thompson Seatpost
Gold Chris King head set
Avid Ultimate Levers
Brooks Saddle

Nice list. I like the Gold idea...hmmm that could look cool. Kinda makes the rasta ano stuff an idea too. I've seen some pretty sweet rasta cranks, seat posts ect by Kooka and others.

If you get one of Rody's Luv bars or bar stem set-ups you could have it color matched.

rthomer

Yea, it could be an expensive list, the all xtr would be less expensive and I have some of it, and can get the rest pretty easily.

Question on the Thomson post : Wouldn't a 25.4 with a shim work? I thought they did that. I would prefer a silver post, I own a black Syncros 26.4, can still use it.
I think I'd splurge a little on the wheels still, and be pretty picky on the stem. The stem to me is the most important for a good fit, Salsa's are great if I can find the perfect size. But a fillet brazed custom Steelman stem set up the way I want is choice. It has to be steel, no oversized aluminum.

I own the ultimate levers, Pauls V's would still be nice.

A splash of gold and a nice Cook Crank, Xtr M900 is good too, and I'm set.

rthomer

Progress finally.

Thought I'd show the progress of my Wicked. Finally getting close to getting it on the trail.

I was worried the frame would be a bit big, I think it's fine with a 120 stem, but I think I could use a bit more rise, but plan on riding it this way for awhile.

The On One bar is going to be replaced by Rody's Luv Bar when it arrives and hoping the rise is similar to the Mary's...or that stem may be going.

On the fence with the brakes, originally planned on Paul's Motos or Ultimates, but found some nice RItchey levers which would need cati's, probably XTR's unless something cool comes along.

The crank and wheels are what I have, plan on using them for awhile till something nicer comes along (and more funds)

Attachments

• DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    187.9 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    284.9 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0029.JPG
    DSC_0029.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 32

rody

Oh, nice thread...the green bar is on the way to you.:D Should look spiffy!

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• small green Luv.jpg
    small green Luv.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 20

DonH

I LOVE that shade of green! Im definitely getting my IF re-painted soon. Is is a stock ppg color or a special blend?

IF52

Oh, nice thread...the green bar is on the way to you.:D Should look spiffy!

cheers,

rody

Ah-ha! I was wondering what that bar was for. I figured it had to be more than a co-inky-dink that it matched the paint on my Yo.

rthomer

Thanks Rody for getting it done so fast, can't wait!

My LBS had these 517's in Citron Green laying around, took them out on loan....maybe a bit tooo much green,

if not on this bike maybe they'll work on my Monster :confused:

Attachments

• DSC_0033.JPG
    DSC_0033.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 38

rthomer

It's finally on the road

Took awhile , but finally got a real ride in. Rody's bars are fantastic, although as I suspected I am waay to far over the bar. Been looking for another Ringle in silver with 10 degree rise but been striking out. I may have to find any cheap stem in the meantime to get the position and length correct.

That said: This thing is nothing short of amazing, stiff in the right areas but floats over bumps at speed like nothing i've ever ridden. I really thought it was going to be a little flexy in the bottom bracket, but I can't feel it. There was one short twisty single track section on the ride and this thing handles like a Ferrari.

I think I'm in love.

Attachments

• DSC_0025.jpg
    DSC_0025.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC_0028.JPG
    DSC_0028.JPG
    169 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0027.JPG