'93 YO Eddy Aqua Fade Restoration

nader

I think I know now how I'm going to restore this YO :)

yoaqfa01.jpg

The patient

yoaqfa04.jpg

The original concept was to renew this frame with a paint job like by serotta. I really love it and it would be really much easy

DSC03535.jpg

(pic source: Defiant RB UK)

But I think I should put this bike back to original glory ...yes Aqua Fade ;)
...or should I leave it and rock with it? :rolleyes: (but there are some rust spots under paint)

Last edited:

Syborg

I think I know now how I'm going to restore this YO :)
The original concept was to renew this frame with a paint job like by serotta. I really love it and it would be really much easy............

But I think I should put this bike back to original glory ...yes Aqua Fade ;)
...or should I leave it and rock with it? :rolleyes: (but there are some rust spots under paint)

Hi Nader,

the Yo Eddy frame has arrived in Hamburg. Nice to see !

And a very good idea Nader! Aqua Fade is one of the finest Fat Chance paints!
This project will not be easy, but I'm confident. Let us participate in the restoration of the Yo Eddy. Wish you a nice 3rd Sunday of Advent.

regards Helmut

lewisfoto

original paint

Greetings,

I am new here but am a semi-serious collector of road bicycles, Cinelli, Bianchi, Paramount etc, so I have some experience with the, "should I paint this bike" decision process. The original paint is part of the bike's history, its battle scars, as a friend of mine says. Plus you only get one shot at original so I think the paint has to be really bad to justify a respray. The discussion is not just academic, take for example my repainted '69 Cinelli SC. Its a valuable bike maybe $2k to $3k, if it had the original finish the price would be over $4k. Just my two cents.

BTW I joined this forum because I just bought a Wicked Fat, but it has not arrived yet.

Steven

nader

Hi Nader,

the Yo Eddy frame has arrived in Hamburg. Nice to see !

And a very good idea Nader! Aqua Fade is one of the finest Fat Chance paints!
This project will not be easy, but I'm confident. Let us participate in the restoration of the Yo Eddy. Wish you a nice 3rd Sunday of Advent.

regards Helmut
thanks Helmut :) ...wish you also a nice 3rd Advent.

Greetings,

I am new here but am a semi-serious collector of road bicycles, Cinelli, Bianchi, Paramount etc, so I have some experience with the, "should I paint this bike" decision process. The original paint is part of the bike's history, its battle scars, as a friend of mine says. Plus you only get one shot at original so I think the paint has to be really bad to justify a respray. The discussion is not just academic, take for example my repainted '69 Cinelli SC. Its a valuable bike maybe $2k to $3k, if it had the original finish the price would be over $4k. Just my two cents.

BTW I joined this forum because I just bought a Wicked Fat, but it has not arrived yet.

Steven
Steven welcome to the forum and thanks for your suggestion.

Unfortunately there is no other way for this frame. I think the detail pics should show this fact.

If you want to ride it, you have to treat it otherwise it will sooner or later take even more damage. But perhaps there are other ways to save the original paint, I must inform me first.

tvcreative

Nadar, you've done some great restos to date...

I think it needs paint...give it the same look. Isn't D+D still in biz? I thought they did a lot of these originally...

I am sure there are some great painters there in Germany

Gil has the decals, heck you know the drill better than most...

I do love that Serotta from years back...(BTW - I have a NOS 04' RED Odile with an Igleheart fork if you really want a Serotta)

Last edited:

nader

I think it needs paint...give it the same look...

yes after grello and glossy black must now come a aqua fade :)

I do love that Serotta from years back...(BTW - I have a NOS 04' RED Odile with an Igleheart fork if you really want a Serotta)
Jim, I know you always have something but you don't give them forth ;)
I'd love to have a Serotta, but this restoration will cost me a lot.

colker

I know a couple trys to redo aquafade. BOth failed. NOt even close.

It may be the most difficult scheme to reproduce.

nader

I know a couple trys to redo aquafade. BOth failed. NOt even close.

It may be the most difficult scheme to reproduce.
yes it's difficult :(

...not easy to believe, all painters here have waiting periods of several months!:confused::redface:

lewisfoto

The situation is not much better here in the States, Cyclart charges a 50% premium if you want to see your bike anytime soon. Fortunately there are many little shops but finding a good painter is very hard.

nader

So here will soon go on ;)

It's a very difficult task to find the right colours and paint it as far as possible like the original, but I'm sure the guy from CycleArt (Gerrit) will get it right.
The decals are made and are on their way to me.

I'll probably build it with black Suntour XC pro ..but am not sure :? (I'm not a fan of anodized parts)

nader

maybe next week I get the frameset :eek: ..and these parts will be assembled

yoaqfa06.jpg

Last edited:

Syborg

Hi Nader,

the Syncros ensemble looks very promising. I'm curious whether the stem fits optically to the frame. I'm not so sure. Looking forward to the build and I'am also curious about the paintjob from Gerrit.

regards Helmut

nader

.. I'm curious whether the stem fits optically to the frame. I'm not so sure...
Hi Helmut,

I'm also very excited.

Well it's painted and on its way to me. :)

All I can say for now, the colours and the fading are exactly met.
...first I can only show this here

yoaqfa07.jpg

...and the decals are also waiting

yoaqfa08.jpg

Greeting

Last edited: