What do I need to know?

fat-tony

Staff member
My desire for a Fat started around 1988. I never had the cheese to purchase one. I have been looking for a Yo for some time now, mainly on eBay, but now I have found fatcogs. I would like to know what to look for when considering purchasing one. In your option does in matter if it comes from Mass. or NY? What are the best years? I am 5'-9" tall and like to ride with front suspension, what should I look for in a frame size? Thanks from a novice just starting the process, but I do know one thing, a Fat Chance YoEddy is all I want!

Doug Carter

Staff member
Tony, welcome to the group. We all have the same addiction (some more than others) to Fat Chance bikes.

My personal preference is the '91-'94 era, for two reasons. Mainly, these were my big years racing, when I rode a Fat. The second reason, is that these are the last years for the Somerville bikes.

If I could make one suggestion, open up your search to include the Wicked Lite, too. I rode Yo Eddys in the 90's and I thought that my current Wicked would be a step backwards, but the bike is lighter and rides as good if not better than the classic and more coveted Yo Eddy. The only issue with the Wicked is the stupid 26.4mm seat post dimension. What a pain to find a nice post in that small size.

doug

fat-tony

Staff member
Thank you for your reply. I will open up my search. Anymore suggestions from you and others would be greatly appreciated! I have picked up on the sizing that I probably should look for a SM frame since I am 5'-9".

scant

welcome to the posse :)
@ 5ft 10 I ride a med- M/L. tend to find the earlier Yos a tad shorter in the top tube (so a M/L) My later Fat ti is fairly long for a med.

let us know when you find your ride & post pics ;)