Canti Set Up Wisdom????

settemarche

anyone want to let on some tricks for optimum canti set up. i have some WTB Speedmasters on the Yo i just finished and they are super loud after some heavy braking. i would like get them dialed in.

thanks all,

Sette

MikeyNYC

anyone want to let on some tricks for optimum canti set up. i have some WTB Speedmasters on the Yo i just finished and they are super loud after some heavy braking. i would like get them dialed in.

thanks all,

Sette

Sette,

I had those same brakes on my Wicked and after 3 different bike shops and endless fiddling I never got them dialed in to where they didn't make noise, so I recently took them off the bike and am waiting to figure out what to use instead...Perhaps someone one here can impart some Jedi Master wisdom on how to properly adjust these cranky brakes???

Are you using WTB pads? Maybe we should both try Kool-Stops?

colker

Sette,

I had those same brakes on my Wicked and after 3 different bike shops and endless fiddling I never got them dialed in to where they didn't make noise, so I recently took them off the bike and am waiting to figure out what to use instead...Perhaps someone one here can impart some Jedi Master wisdom on how to properly adjust these cranky brakes???

not to diss the wtbs but.....XTR M900 CANTIS!

settemarche

Sette,

Mike,

that does not sound to good. not which ones were noisy on your bike, but the fronts are what it out of control on mine.

as for pads. right now there are Ritchey Whale fin blacks on there. i have used these pads before and not had a noise issue so i do think it is the actual set up itself.

Sette

settemarche

not to diss the wtbs but.....XTR M900 CANTIS!

Flav,

love that brake. i thought about doing those. but wanted something a little more exotic. well as of now i am pretty sure that i could set up M900's pretty well. WTB - not so much. i think i have a full set of Tri Aligns. but i was saving those for the Wicked!

Sette

fat-tony

Staff member
Flav,

love that brake. i thought about doing those. but wanted something a little more exotic. well as of now i am pretty sure that i could set up M900's pretty well. WTB - not so much. i think i have a full set of Tri Aligns. but i was saving those for the Wicked!

Sette

Based off of Melvin's post regarding your bike in the Gallery, I would sell the Speemasters to him. ;)

Yo Eddy! where are you here?

(great looking ride btw!)

Yo Eddy!

I didn't take them because with the plastics they didn't gave me sufficient 'quality feel'. Moreover 'DiaCompe' hasn't the stature of Yo, Kooka and ....Grafton. My Yo will be getting a new brake sytem this christmas holiday. Finally I'll get rid of the V's. The new setup will be Grafton Johnny Jewels, Grafton FatFiner and I hope Grafton Re-Entry levers. So far it prooved to be difficult to get the levers on the powder coated TrueTemper bar and I do not wanna use much force, so maybe it will end up with 'only' XCPro levers... still nice of course.

I must say the Johnny Jewel brakes are VERY nicely made. They are a great piece of engineering, I would say even more interesting than the SpeedControllers. The levers are a joy for the senses too.

Now hoping they are up to the performance of 987s of course :D

colker

I were at shop few weeks ago. He had them. 10 euros or so. I didn't take them. Stupid?

987s look beautifull plus i have had them on 2 bikes over 12 yrs and it still works perfect.
i prefer dia compe, suntour , shimano and sugino stuff over chi chi.

Yo Eddy!

Actually I find them pretty ugly :rolleyes:

You're right on that the stuff of the Japanese mass producers is often far superior to everything else. Great function, not many flaws, steady quality, compatability (not always, but often), wide availability of spares... etc

colker

I didn't take them because with the plastics they didn't gave me sufficient 'quality feel'. Moreover 'DiaCompe' hasn't the stature of Yo, Kooka and ....Grafton. My Yo will be getting a new brake sytem this christmas holiday. Finally I'll get rid of the V's. The new setup will be Grafton Johnny Jewels, Grafton FatFiner and I hope Grafton Re-Entry levers. So far it prooved to be difficult to get the levers on the powder coated TrueTemper bar and I do not wanna use much force, so maybe it will end up with 'only' XCPro levers... still nice of course.

I must say the Johnny Jewel brakes are VERY nicely made. They are a great piece of engineering, I would say even more interesting than the SpeedControllers. The levers are a joy for the senses too.

Now hoping they are up to the performance of 987s of course :D

what plastic? mine is full metal..

Yo Eddy!

Colker,

The plastic that covers the springs. Moreover I do not like its lines, but that is a matter of taste of course.

q1q_987_brake.jpg

Sette,

Sorry I can't give a decent contribution to the solution of the noise problem. I really haven't an idea how to solve it ...except for greasing the rims maybe :rolleyes: Never tried the WTBs, but they look pretty nice. If I ever get my hands on a pair, I hope that the looks and the overall performance make up for the noise for me.

settemarche

Colker,

The plastic that covers the springs. Moreover I do not like its lines, but that is a matter of taste of course.

q1q_987_brake.jpg

Sette,

Sorry I can't give a decent contribution to the solution of the noise problem. I really haven't an idea how to solve it ...except for greasing the rims maybe :rolleyes: Never tried the WTBs, but they look pretty nice. If I ever get my hands on a pair, I hope that the looks and the overall performance make up for the noise for me.

unfortunately i recently sold a full set of black 987's. guess i should have kept them? as for the noise issue. NYC Mike and i might not be the best mechanics - but this afternoon after the Christmas Shopathon i am going to get serious. pulling out a marker, wedge - going full engineering style. we shall see if the noise abatment project works out.

fingers crossed!