Wicked but nice

tvcreative

Here's a little project that I got some help from DC on the forum...

1991 Teal Wicked

YO Eddy Fork (purchased from DC last week)

Some new some old parts

Chris King Headset (Gripnut) top

White Industries ENO Eccentric Rear Hub, ENO Front, with Mavic 517 rims

16t Shimano SS FW

White Industries Crankset with Boone Ti Chain ring 32t

Race Face Taperlock BB

SRAM PC870 Chain

Ritchey Speedmax tires

Shimano 735 pedals for the test ride, although when i take out seriously will be XTR 970s

Syncros Seatpost

WTB SST2K ti rail saddle

Salsa Stem

Salsa Moto Ace Bars

Paul Brake levers

Race Face Good and Evil Grips

Shimano M737 canti brakes

Rides very very nice...I think it will be one of my favs

Attachments

• IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

colker

they do ride very very nice.... mine is geared. same size. syncros post. control tech quill stem. old B5 carbon bars.
i need another rear wheel. my hugi compact hub seems toast.

rmp

cool. I figured I wasn't the only guy out there who always wanted a Yo-style fork on my Wicked.

What's an original Yo Eddy fork weigh?

tvcreative

The only thing I am curious about is proper tracking in front...

has anyone done this YO fork/wicked frame combo?

is there a different offset? raked fork to straight?

any comments welcomed...on the test ride I took it our for seemed okay on hardpack over a short run

thoughts?

Jim

colker

different rake. less rake. I know of a guy who posted on mtbr his wicked w/ yo fork who has been riding it for decades and loves it.

rmp

Chris Igleheart built my segmented fork with original Wicked rake (1.5" IIRC). His recommendation. Yo Eddy and BOI forks had 1.75 rake I think.

Not sure if I could tell the difference or not.

rmp

colker

Chris Igleheart built my segmented fork with original Wicked rake (1.5" IIRC). His recommendation. Yo Eddy and BOI forks had 1.75 rake I think.

Not sure if I could tell the difference or not.

rmp

it's the other way around: Yo and BOI have 1.5. Wicked has the usual 1.75

tvcreative

twitchy

it's twitchy...with a YO fork.

i have the original and the rake really helps it...

I do have a project YO that i can put this black one on...and I have a monster too

is the geometry on a monster the exact same as YO? Anybody? The monster came with a fork that had rake.

colker

early monsters were wickeds. at some point they used Yo's geometry which is basically a shorter rear end and shorter headtubes plus longer top tubes.

tvcreative

Colker

thanks

the one i have has a wishbone stay, and is from 1991.

perhaps previous owner swapped out for a wicked fork?

did they not come with a tange product originally?

I will post pix of monster soon...got a cheap powder coat from prokote indy

rthomer

I do have a project YO that i can put this black one on...and I have a monster too

is the geometry on a monster the exact same as YO? Anybody? The monster came with a fork that had rake.

The early 90's Monster's (with wishbone stays) had the same geometry as Yo's with a different fork and rake. So a Monster with a YO fork should handle just like a YO.

rmp

A fork with less offset or rake will create more trail and result in slower steering. When I hear "twitchy" I think faster steering.

The Wicked forks's 1.75" offset should steer quicker than the Yo's 1.5" offset forks when similar A-C forks are swapped on the same 71 deg bike - No?

IIRC the Yo's were designed to be more stable at higher speeds than the Wicked, hence the reduced rake.

Am I missing something?

rmp

Perhaps wrong use of language...

It feels like it wants to flop off center vs tracking straight...

Than makes a little more sense. Kind of like the whole 29er thing at first, when all of the initial forks like the Reba had 26" wheel offsets and too much trail with the big wheels. Lots of wheel flop.

rthomer

A fork with less offset or rake will create more trail and result in slower steering. When I hear "twitchy" I think faster steering.

The Wicked forks's 1.75" offset should steer quicker than the Yo's 1.5" offset forks when similar A-C forks are swapped on the same 71 deg bike - No?

IIRC the Yo's were designed to be more stable at higher speeds than the Wicked, hence the reduced rake.

Am I missing something?

I think you are correct : More rake = less trail, less trail = quicker steering....at least thats what I understand.

Stem length can contribute to the feel of steering as well.

tvcreative

perhaps, I am just old and weak (49 almost 50) and need to go back to a balloon tire paperboy bike

I am sure this set up is okay, maybe I need to get used to it...

I am running 1.9 tires...I'll try some fatties on there

Jim