Rody Rocks !!!!

jh4rt

No Duh!!! But, I just took the second ride on my new Groovy Ho Down fork, and I'm going to say something....... I like it better than my BOI. This fork is awesome. It is so accurate and the braking is 100% better than my BOI was. I hit a killer little rock garden in the dark tonight and the fork stayed perfectly true to where I wanted it to go.

Thanks again Rody!

If any of you get a chance, you need to have one of these forks !!!

I will post mounted pictures tomorrow.

--jim.

Upchuck

I'll have to chime in here with a second ride report. jh4rt swapped bikes with me during last night's ride. Not only does the fork track extremely well in the rough, it was butter smooth flying down a rocky fireroad.

My next rigid fork will be a Groovy!

rody

Jim,

Glad the fork worked out...let me know the width spacers you need and I'll turn down some for ya!

The fork is a Groovy Ho Down rigid fork, a mix of my favorite elements from mtb's history; the scallopped dropouts of the Yo Eddy, the straight 25.4 blades of the Hardcore, and the box of the Fat Box Crown...yummy.

Here's a pic of the fork in question at the shop...

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• Jim's Ho Down 001.JPG
    Jim's Ho Down 001.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Jim's Ho Down 005.JPG
    Jim's Ho Down 005.JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Jim's Ho Down 006.JPG
    Jim's Ho Down 006.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 3

Upchuck

Rody, I need to put some time aside to take a bunch of frame and fork measurements so we can figure out what you can do for my '85 drop bar Fat Kicker. I'm still not lovin' the ride...:(

85_Fat_Chance_Kicker.JPG

colker

is it susp. corrected? i have a vicious cycles 1in on my mikkelsen. the fork is wonderfull BUT.. it raises the bb by 1/2in to a staggering 13in. coupled w/ 17.25 cs i am not that happy so i am going w/ an old specialized which is 2.5cm shorter and has more rake.

colker

Rody, I need to put some time aside to take a bunch of frame and fork measurements so we can figure out what you can do for my '85 drop bar Fat Kicker. I'm still not lovin' the ride...:(

85_Fat_Chance_Kicker.JPG

have you tried it w/ a flat bar? i had a midge on my wicked and did not like the results. when i moved a flat bar to the wicked and the drops to another bike everything worked really well on both bikes... don't know why.

jh4rt

is it susp. corrected? i have a vicious cycles 1in on my mikkelsen. the fork is wonderfull BUT.. it raises the bb by 1/2in to a staggering 13in. coupled w/ 17.25 cs i am not that happy so i am going w/ an old specialized which is 2.5cm shorter and has more rake.

Flav.

It is not suspension corrected. It is made custom to be exactly the a-c and rake specs as the original BOI and Yo! forks.

I can't say enough about Rody's help in getting everything measured and matched up. He can, of course, make you one which is suspension corrected as well.

-j

I-ROBOT

nice fork

Rody
That's a beautiful looking fork.
Is it all TIG-welded?
Maybe you should call it the Big Box
Congrats
Scott Bengtson

rody

Scott,

The fork is all Tig made with a blend of straight gauge 4130 for the crown and custom butted fork legs fabbed by Fairing Industrial for me. I played with brazing in the scallops/drops but really it took more time with clean up than just tig'ing them in with no real advantage.

The design really answers a couple of concerns I've had with segmented forks as it gives plenty of rigidity at the crown for a stable feeling and the butting allows flex in the lower third for a softer feel. Really happy with how they have turned out.

I've got a few DJ guys on some heat treated 80 mm ones and they are loving them.

Here's a couple of "in process" shots for ya. :D

Colker,

I can build what ever axel to crown you desire. Drop me a note at rody@groovycycleworks.com if you are interested.

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• Jim's 1 inch ho dow 001.JPG
    Jim's 1 inch ho dow 001.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Jim's 1 inch ho dow 005.JPG
    Jim's 1 inch ho dow 005.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Jim's 1 inch ho dow 006.JPG
    Jim's 1 inch ho dow 006.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Jim's 1 inch ho dow 003.JPG
    Jim's 1 inch ho dow 003.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 7

jh4rt

Bump!!!

Just making sure this stays at the top for a while. I rode it again today, and found myself looking for rock gardens and bumps to ride through. ;-)

--jimbo