How To figure spindle length needed for 1990 Wicked Lite

fattiregeek

Last Q:What is the difference between JIS, JIS low profile, and ISO tapers?

I have a 1990 Fat Chance 'Wicked Lite' I have broken several old cranks and found a Raceface, but with the lock rings in place, the spindle is slightly too short (locks up the press fit bearings) Does anyone know a way to calculate the length of spindle I would need.

Current Spindle - 121.5mm
Lockrings - 11mm
Depth of crank arms - 16mm

(I have no idea how to figure out what length is needed)
Edit info added - crank is late 90's Raceface Forged (wanted beefy)

Philwood makes spindles, but at a price, at $90-100 cant afford to make a guessing game out of it. Tried Sheldon Browns site, lots of info, but nothing that really helped (I am going to call Philwood when the open and ask if they know also)
Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
:confused:

Last edited:

tvcreative

Maybe a different crank?

I think Cook Bros is still around and may have spindles

there are several threads on this forum discussing your predicament

I would put a cooks bros on it...strong like bull

perhaps a machine shop can make you narrower collars with a pinch mechanism vs allen

I have only 121's and shorter, not even really sure a longer one is made....

fattiregeek

I have tried them, site down - and down (and been trying for about 6 months) They did not have a phone number, think I might have even posted here looking for someone with a phone number (or working email).
Thanks

fattiregeek

Ok, one last question...does anyone know what type of taper was used on the spindles for Fats?

What is the difference between JIS, JIS low profile, and ISO tapers?

Phil Wood offers all three tapers to try and best meet the needs of our customers who are using square-tapered bottom brackets. An explaination of the different bottom bracket tapers can be found here. In brief, most modern cranks will take the JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) taper, in addition to Campagnolo cranks produced before 1994. After 1994, Campagnolo moved to the ISO (a.k.a. Campy) taper. The less common of the three tapers offered is the JIS low profile, which is used in some specific older-model Dura Ace cranks.

The old Fat is worth it to me (probably quite ridicules the amount I have spent on that bike over the last 20 years, and I don't regret one bit. We have had some amazing rides) I have been googling photo's but I cant really tell.
I may just call RaceFace Monday morning, its a late 90's 'Forged' crank. (Googling that too)

Last edited:

tvcreative

I always thought it was Japanese Industrial Standard JIS

Most came with Shimano equipment...

I thought RaceFace is JIS too

Anybody else know anything different?

fattiregeek

You are probably right, PhilWood being pricy, thought I would ask (really, until they asked me, I didn't know there was more than one type of 'square'. :eek:) Come to think of it was an LX crank I had replaced last, so if Shimano is JIS, this must be)

Last edited:

rick

wicked bb

FWIW, if your bike is 1990, it would not be a Wicked Lite (a couple of years early). The Lites have threaded BBs as far as I know....

fattiregeek

FWIW, if your bike is 1990, it would not be a Wicked Lite (a couple of years early). The Lites have threaded BBs as far as I know....
You are correct, its a 90 Wicked (I had the serial checked) Had it so long, I forget, a friend always called it wicked lite (even though it wasnt, it just got stuck in my head) he had the Yo Eddy, we were some serious FAT heads back in the day. (He had one of those 'HUGE' FATCITY stickers for a rear car window, man it was cool. Till his wife saw it, she made him pull it off. So sad, wish I had one of those now.)

Last edited: