Manitou 1

DaveH

I need help guys. I need to find parts or parts that will work in my Manitou 1 forks. They are NOS forks
from 91 but the bumpers have rotted out. I have read that some have used bumpers out of another fork but I dont know which one. I have talked to Jeff @ first flight bikes he sent me over to Hippie-Tech Suspension and they wont mess with it. Any ideas?????

DaveH

Jeeves

Hey, I have an old Manitou 1 in the basement myself! That's too bad that Hippie tech won't touch it - that's a historic fork!

Anyhoo, the insides were pretty darned simple - if you can find elastomers from another fork, and they are the right diameter to fit the legs, couldn't you just cut them to fit? It would be trial and error to get the right compression rate, etc, but you may be able to do it yourself!

-Raj

fat-tony

Staff member
DaveH said:
I need help guys. I need to find parts or parts that will work in my Manitou 1 forks. They are NOS forks
from 91 but the bumpers have rotted out. I have read that some have used bumpers out of another fork but I dont know which one. I have talked to Jeff @ first flight bikes he sent me over to Hippie-Tech Suspension and they wont mess with it. Any ideas?????

DaveH

Check out this link. It's in the UK, but maybe they know of a source in the US of A. I found this over on another site. I know nothing about Manitou's, but hope it helps.

http://www.burrhart.co.uk/fibro_elastomers_springs.htm

BillyD

These have been sitting in my tool box since 1992. I wish I new what happened to the fork.
These bumpers have been in there original bag and appear to be in perfect shape.
here is a pic.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 8
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 8

DaveH

BillyD said:
These have been sitting in my tool box since 1992. I wish I new what happened to the fork.
These bumpers have been in there original bag and appear to be in perfect shape.
here is a pic.

sent you a pm

DaveH

kevin881

those are manitou 2 elastomers I believe... I had one. I dont know if the manitou 1 are the same or not.

BillyD

badpost

Kevin you are wrong.
I never owned a Manitou 2. They are from the only Manitou I ever owned. A Manitou 1.
If you don't know what you are talking about don't post.

Last edited:

kevin881

BillyD said:
Kevin you are wrong.
I never owned a Manitou 2. They are from the only Manitou I ever owned. A Manitou 1.
If you don't know what you are talking about don't post.

Hey Billy, I owned a Manitou 2 and those are identical to the replacement elastomers I had. If they are different then I cannot tell from the photos.

I wasnt trying to antagonize you, or to act like a "know it all." I am not sure what I exactly did to solicit a reply like this from you, on a forum like this where we all share a common interest.

Maybe you are having a bad day or something, but your reply is over-reactive.

Of course its always very easy for people to be insulting over the internet, as everyone can act as tough as they want without repurcussions.

kevin881

BillyD said:

Seriously...

I made a benign comment about elastomers from my manitou 2 being the same... I made the post because I thought it might help the guy who started the thread. I figured that if they were the same elastomers, that maybe he could purchase/find a manitou 2 stuff and it would work for him.

I get insults from you, and when I reply with civility, all you can say is "whatever?"

Thats pretty lame. I figured you would at least have the maturity enough to apologize for your pre-menstrual like attitude.

scant

Chill out guys.

Chill out guys.

I have a friend in the UK who can get new replacements for some mani forks. Slim on retrobike.co.uk , or PM me direct