What Tubing Was Used For The 1985 Kicker?

I-ROBOT

I started working for Chris in November 1986 after Gary Helfrich founded Kestrel (later Merlin after a lawsuit) Metalworks and dragged his stuff across the courtyard.

I'm pretty sure that True Temper tubing was already in use then. I know that they already had the TT aluminum handlebars then for sure.

They were already building Wicked prototypes for the 1987 introduction and I'm sure that the 1-3/8 OD downtubes were there and I know that TT was the only tubing company that was making them that big.

We did continue to use Tange Prestige for the Team Comps

My guess is that TT came on board in 1986. If you have a 1986 FAT and it has a 1-3/8 OD downtube, then it has a TT tubeset.

The TT tubesets included butted chainstays. We used straight gauge 4130 from Dillsburg for the seat stays and headtubes (which were machined to size on a lathe from WWII)

Happy Labor Day
Scott

stoebben

85 Kicker Tubing

I have two later 85 Kickers (855XX and 856XX), the latter of which has a True Temper decal on the bottom of the seat tube. The earlier was repainted and doesn't have the decal, although I seem to remember that the FCC Frame Book noted that TT was used (I will check my emails). I've seen an earlier 85 numbered 852XX and did not have the decal, and MOMBAT has an 853XX, also without the decal.

Interesting to note that MOMBAT has a December 85 review of the Kicker posted, which lists the tubing as double butted Tange, although the bike is identical to my 856XX (posted here in Reader Rides), including the star on the seat tube.

stoebben

85 Kicker Tubing

Update: Confirmed 855XX (actually 85576--couldn't remember off the top of my head) used TT:

"85576 is a 18" with True Temper Seat Tube & Top Tube; Tange all other tubes built 11-1-85"

rackman

Decal from my bike

If this helps.....From my bike

Attachments

• my bike down tube decal.jpg
    my bike down tube decal.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 15