What are you working on?

mainlyfats

I thought I would throw up a thread on "bikes in progress" and see if anyone had any interesting projects on the go.

I'm working on a 1987 Fat Chance, factory spec. It's a 6-spd Deore bike and I'm not being too faithful to "period correct" as I bring it back to life.

The wheels were cheap steel spokes on Specialized rims and Sansin catridge hubs. I'm keeping the hubs, but got some Mavic X517s and DT 14/15 guage black spokes.

New chainrings, chain, grips, tires, tubes and seat. NOS Hite-rite. Can't wait to take it out to the trails.

What about everyone else? Where do you weigh in on the "period correct" debate?

Attachments

• Fat.jpg
    Fat.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 45
  • FatW.jpg
    FatW.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 16

lucifer

I think period correct restorations have their place but at the same time you should build the bike in a way that lets the quality of the frame shine through. Personally I would never build say a DX equipped bike when XT parts are available... And the grafton and ringle equipped special ones have always appealed to me

My fat is a NOS buckshaver singlespeed with a mix of race face, syncros, White Industries, ringle, avid, chris king & mavic parts.

BillyD

Current project, 91 Wicked.

Got the fork, handle bars, and stem on today. Sugino 180mm cranks came today.
Plan on making this a single speed. Just ordered a Eno hub.

Will put the other Paul's brake lever on when I find a missing nut. Next I plan on installing a set of Avid tri-align brakes.

Attachments

• f3.jpg
    f3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 77
  • f6.jpg
    f6.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 40
  • f7.jpg
    f7.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 31

mainlyfats

One speeds!

Alright! Two Fat one speed projects - I've got an old Team that's a one speed.

So far it would seem that the North Americans don't care as much about the "period correct" thing as the Europeans do. Some of the German and English - Marc996, jez - posters here have bikes that looked like they just came from the window of a (very cool) bike shop in 1991. I'm not knocking it, mind you - I think it's an awesome hobby, but it is a weird regional divide I've kind of noticed.

I agree lucifer, I wouldn't put bad parts on my bike just because they were "right", but I also can't really get worked up about "performance" anymore. My advantage these days is not always riding hungover.

fat-tony

Staff member
Fats

My deal is that I always wanted a Fat Chance Yo Eddy. I never could afford one back in the day and now that I owe one, I want to ride the hell out of it. So it doesn't seen right to me to find NOS from 1993, just to turn around and abuse it. I do however understand those who wish to have a museum piece though. Simply, they are just wonderful bikes to ride and collect! Which ever you prefer.

visitor

I will be building mine up with trick parts that are period correct or modern. Currently my '94 Yo frame is at Vicious Cycles getting a repaint. Can't wait to get it back and hammer out some trails on the bike!

scant

ideally its nice to have both. bikes to hammer & ride. bikes to hang on the wall & stare at. I subscribe to both :D

visitor

I wish I could have both bikes to admire and bikes to ride. Once I get the YO back, I'll dump my old hardtail and only have a Trek Fuel and the FAT. Once I get a house, I hope to add to the collect and maybe do some wall art. The Yo will be sweet for me to ride with some of my friends that are beginners and have hardtails only. I am pulled between building a SWEET hardtail or a retro hardtail, leaning towards tricked out hardtail. I am thinking of this paint job.

Hey BillyD:
I usually ride at WHR, Case, Mesh, Greyville. Hope to get out to Goodwin S.F. and Pachaug again soon. Any good riding down your way?

lucifer

10thAnniversaryFat said:
Alright! Two Fat one speed projects - I've got an old Team that's a one speed.

So far it would seem that the North Americans don't care as much about the "period correct" thing as the Europeans do. Some of the German and English - Marc996, jez - posters here have bikes that looked like they just came from the window of a (very cool) bike shop in 1991. I'm not knocking it, mind you - I think it's an awesome hobby, but it is a weird regional divide I've kind of noticed.

I agree lucifer, I wouldn't put bad parts on my bike just because they were "right", but I also can't really get worked up about "performance" anymore. My advantage these days is not always riding hungover.

I like parts that are aesthetically beautiful while being functional. Some are old like zooka stems (despite their flaws) . Others are new like avid ultimate v brakes. If I find something that works I stick with it. Like race face turbine cranks with square tapers...

mainlyfats

Done for now

I've finished the re-build and added new cartridge bearings all around. I've only taken it out for spin around the block, but it fits great - it's the size I always should have ridden - but I think I'll need to straighten out the derailleur hanger and get a new rear derailleur. Anybody got a good 6spd Deore or Deore XT laying around?

Attachments

• Fat1.jpg
    Fat1.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 35

Allhailbeefrod

My revived Monster FAT!

Here is my project i've been working on for a while...
anyways here goes...its a 1993 Monster FAT, with nukeproof hubs on sun 0Degree rims, syncrose stem, scott carbon weave bars, xtr 8 speed levers shifters and derailleurs, MRC steel Danz crank with XT rings, Kooka seatpost, ti flite saddle, onza Ho brakes, TNT brake arches...etc....its a sweet ride hopefully i can figure out how to post some pics
Cheers,
Aaron

Attachments

• 105_0577.JPG
    105_0577.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 105_0576.JPG
    105_0576.JPG
    421.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 105_0575.JPG
    105_0575.JPG
    377.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 105_0574.JPG
    105_0574.JPG
    444.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 105_0573.JPG
    105_0573.JPG
    384.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 105_0572.JPG
    105_0572.JPG
    418.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 105_0571.JPG
    105_0571.JPG
    349.5 KB · Views: 26

BillyD

It took me a year, but it is finally done.

1991 Wicked Fat Single Speed

It is the same frame I have had since 1991 plus a few new parts and old ones.

It's a mix of old and new. Cooks cranks, Tri align cantis, Pauls levers and a Eno white hub.

Now if it will a only stop raining long enough for the trails to dry out.

Attachments

• fatone.jpg
    fatone.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
  • cooks.jpg
    cooks.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 26
  • fatbars.jpg
    fatbars.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 23
  • fatbig.jpg
    fatbig.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 44

FatfaninGA

94 Yo Eddy Project

I am buying a 94 Mass. made M/L Yo Eddy once I figure out how to convert the pics of frame from Microsoft Word to JPEG I will show you the frame. I am wondering what the color options were for a 94 yo eddy were. It is currently Harlequin silver one side/black the other.

Keep you updated on my progress.

John

nigeh

'91 Yo Frame and Fork - with....

Hi my current build is taking my '91 Yo Frame and Fork, which was built up as an SS when I got it and building it up with new XTR through out, the last two things holding me up is a nice high rise stem, need 130mmx15deg - quill or A head (will use a converter) and a solution to the BB issue.

Being a ush in bearing frame I need to design and make some new cups that will either allow the use of the New XTR BB bearings or have a substitube bearing mounted in the new cups.

Could take some time......

I'll post pics when I get it done.....

Cheers Nigeh.

MikeyNYC

What I'm working on...1989/1990 (?) Wicked Fat Chance

I'm currently working on a 1989/1990?-Can't really the year tell from the serial # 090W09, Wicked Fat Chance.

So far, I too am not sure about being too faithful to "period correct", as I put it together as my "Beater Bike" with parts I already have on hand to leave it out at my beach house, so I can bring my Ti Fat home to the city to do some road laps on it in Central Park this winter with some slick tires on it. (NYC apartments do not allow storage for massive bike collections)

The wheels were a cheap eBay find: Wheelsmith spokes laced to Specialized GX28 rims and ugly Shimano Deore 6-Speed catridge/cassette hubs. It also a Specialized Crossroads II tire on the front that seems practically un-used, it still has the "nipples" on it and the the knobs are mint, the sidewalls are not dry just a little dirty. The rear tire is a used Specialized Ground Control that still has plenty of life to it.

I don't know if I'm going to change these tires, but I've just realized that I have quite a few "orphaned" old tires lying around and I wonder if anyone out there on Fat Cogs needs any older tires to match up with others to make a set for a project? Perhaps I'll make a list and shoot it out there for people to view and then I can possibly trade these old tires for some stuff that I'll need to complete this bike?

I currently need a set of 6 speed Shimano Deore XT SIS thumbshifters, or at least just 1 LEFT Shimano Deore XT thumbshifter (for a front Der.), as well as a FR & Rr set of Silver or just 1 rear (in black) Shimano Deore XT Cantilver brake (The really old ones). Anyone out there have these or want to trade for some tires? I'll make a tire list as soon as I can inventory what I have...

Here are photos of the Wicked in progress:

Attachments

• Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 020.JPG
    Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 020.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 022.JPG
    Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 022.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 021.JPG
    Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 021.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 5
  • Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 024.JPG
    Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 024.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 14
  • Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 023.JPG
    Wicked Fat Frame 090W09 023.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 22

BillyD

I love the white fork and the light blue paint job. Great color combination.

I think I have some thumb shifters in the basement. Yep, I do. But, there 7 speed.

Please post more pictures when your finished.