Bottom Bracket

mainlyfats

Hey guys - A little help...

Bottom bracket bearings. I've got the code off the NTN's that are there, but no one seems to have anything that matches it.

I've been in touch with Phil Wood and they've got bearings, but you need to buy one of their 17mm axles.

Does anyone have a stock of bearings, or a secret source? How about Phil Wood, does anyone have experience with their 17mm axles. What about the collars? How does that work?

BillyD

I got a set at a local bearing dealer in New Haven, Connecticut. They were able to special order the NTN bearings.

When I went there, the quy behind the counter laughed and said, "We have bearing just like this hear in stock." They weren't NTN, but the same type of bearing.

http://www.bdi-usa.com/

I would look in your local Yellow pages, under bearings.

You should be albe to find something, and then take a trip down with the bearings.

I even brought and extra set. They are cheap.

BillyD

I enclosed some pics. If you still need help let me know and we can make some arrangement, and I will score you some bearings.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 13
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 13

BillyD

I looked at Phils, I see what you are talking about.

they look like the standard press in BB. The axle isn't a straight axle like the original fats.

That axle has two, I don't know the right word, tampers on the inside.

Depending on which axle you choose, you are spending between $100 and $300 dollars.

I have never broken a fat axle and I have had the same one since 1991. Just needed to spend $6 on bearings.

Nobody will even know you have a hundred $ axle anyways. Can't see the Phil name.

Seems like a waste of cash to me.

BillyD

If you still can't find them let me know, I'll go down the street and get some more bearings.

It will take me 5 minutes, I am going down that way tomorrow.

I'LL start selling them on ebay?

Zook

I'd prefer to not buy some through ebay...

Added cost of the listing + cost % of the winning bid + cost for you for going through paypal + outlandish bids from people who think these are the last bearing on the face of the planet... I think'd we'd all rather just pay you reasonable price for time + effort & little profit for the leg work for the fellow fat cogs.

-Z

rick

BB bearings

I have purchased lots of these bearings from my local supply house, probably have a few more left in my tool box if you cannot find them.

I was told that this type of bearing (with a retaining ring) is commonly used in electric motors. If you just show it to someone at a good industrial supply shop they can measure it and set you up.

rick

BillyD

I was kidding about the ebay,

The bearings are readily available, Rick is right on the money.

I'll do a little research and find out the part number of a current bearing. You'll be able to order straight form a company like bdi our your locate bearing supplier.

mainlyfats

NTN is out of the FAT business

But others are taking up the cause...

99502 is the part number at bearingsdirect.com/products

I don't know what I'll get exactly, but I'll have four in a couple of days.

mainlyfats

We'll see...

BillyD said:
cool, that's them!

The bearings I got from bearingsdirect.com are fine, fit great, and have the C-clips... But they were pretty cheap and they're made in China, two things I've always been taught to stay away from when it comes to bearings. Maybe I'm being a freak and, seriously, when it comes to bikes - instead of say, airplanes - it's not that big a deal, but I've never used anything other than NTN and I'm starting to lose sleep (not really) over the possibility of getting the "new" bike wet.