Fat Ti

scant

I had a quick look. I need to check more. Its got a saratoga badge, but its also got wishbone stays. my saratoga ti has standard stays.
didnt realise they built a saratoga wishbone model? anyone know anything about this?

I'm not sure if people realise. Chris always wanted butted ti tubes. the sleeved early FAT tis were a cheaper/cruder?, way of achieving effective butting. From what wendyl tells me chris was really, finally fully pleased with the machined/ butted tubing of the later FAT tis.

I just love FAT tis of any age (given I've owned both 1 of the earliest & still ride 1 of the last :D )

bullmoose

Didn't the sleeve-butted tubes only come out in '92 (?) and '93, being quickly replaced by the machined-butted tubes in '94? I remember the first generation of Fat Tis had that "appendectomy scar" weld (their description, not mine) running up the bottom of the down tube from the bottom bracket.

scant

bullmoose I think you;re right.
I'm just surprised its got a wishbone stay when its saratoga built. I'll try & check with wendyl :)

scant

just checked. When FAT moved to saratoga FAT tis went to conventional stays. Looks like this 1 is a Massachusetts 1 after all ;)

rick

96 Yo Eddy

this bike has a Saratoga decal though.....

Perhaps it was initially fabbed in Mass, finished up in NY? Or?

In my experience Fat City was not overly concerned about exactly when changes were made, so there may not always be an absolute cut-off point for any and all changes.

Jeeves

OK, thanks for the link! I had to look at the pics before I understood what the "wishbone stay" was -- and guess what, my TI has the same wishbone seatstay, and it's a machine butted frame with saratoga badge. I'm pretty sure I got it in 94 or later.

I'll post the serial number later tonight.

-Raj

Ti-Fat Man

hi folks, Got my Ti-Fat march 1995, it was ordered October 1994, I think the reason for the long delay in receiving the frame was due to the factory relocation (boy that wait was killing me!!)
But the frame came with the wish bone seat stays and the New York badge from the new factory, the frame number being TF SM 001.
so it could be possible that this frame on ebay, is puker with correct history.
cheers alan, Ti Fat man

scant

if the frame has a wishbone, its a Mass made. wendyl confirmed that. decals were probs added later. People still dont realise you can get most decals direct from wendyl. Its possible the seller could only find newer decals?

ti fat man, there'll be another FAT/retro meet SSMM @ malvern in 05, you'll have to come along ;D

Jeeves

Scant,

I bought my TI fat new -- so stickers are a factory job. My frame # TF L 1013, and it has the wishbone seat stay.

Are you positive about the fact that these are Mass bikes (I'm not arguing with you, I'd LOVE to know that my bike was made in Mass) but right now, we have 3 TI Fat examples with wishbones and Saratoga stickers.

Thanks!
Raj.

Yo Eddy!

So I read that some people leave open the possibility that some frames were build in Mass. but finished in New York.

My Yo is a